The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's just me, but whenever we have guests over, i always expect them to be interested in my aquariums, or at least comment on it (it's not like you see a planted aquarium in everyone's house...). But most of the time, they just see it as any other aquarium.

My friends just think i'm insane. They actually think selling plant trimmings is like a "drug deal" and they thought it was so bazar when i told them that animals, including fish, can be shipped through the mail!

So, do your friends/family members admire/appreciate/recognize/etc your aquarium(s)?

Planted aquarium keepers aren't all that common, after all.

·
Registered
476 Posts
haha same thing here i expect people to maybe at least comment on my tank cause, well your right how often do you see a planted tank... especially around here.
and my buddys dont even care i do this its just one of my hobbies they dont take part in, they just kind of learn some stuff from hearing me jabbering about it all:D

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is like one(maybe two) person(s) we know that thinks my tanks are cool. that's about it though. my wife keeps threatening to do something bad to them.
My mom has threatened to take down my aquarium while i'm at school... lol.
But that's only when she's mad at me. :hihi:

I think our hobby is under-appreciated.
Most people probably don't realize how challenging and time consuming planted aquariums are.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i know a few people who are impressed by them at my college, one is a reef keepers and we talk about tanks on ocation. my other people think thay just are cool looking, but i usally get comments on it. hell when i had it up i was the only one in school with a 30 gallon fish tank in there dorm room and it was a high light high tek planted one at that.

family wise my dad really doesn't understand it and get disgusted when ever i by any thing for my tank (or really quite a few things i do lol) my mom likes it for the gardening aspect.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know a few people who are impressed by them at my college, one is a reef keepers and we talk about tanks on ocation. my other people think thay just are cool looking, but i usally get comments on it. hell when i had it up i was the only one in school with a 30 gallon fish tank in there dorm room and it was a high light high tek planted one at that.

family wise my dad really doesn't understand it and get disgusted when ever i by any thing for my tank (or really quite a few things i do lol) my mom likes it for the gardening aspect.

Most of my friends think fish are just boring, so they have absolutely no interest.
A few didn't even know that there are plants that live under water... LOL.

To my knowledge, i am the only serious aquarium keeper out of 250 students in my high school.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Haha, my friends also think it's pretty weird. And my family is never too thrilled when I go and buy something fish tank related. In the short time I've been in this hobby, a few times I've seen a plant is starting to do well, or I just set up my tank, and I've thought to myself, "I should share this with my parents." That's always a mistake. They stand for a while with a blank stare to be polite, then leave.

My girlfriend, though, is at least partially interested. Makes it a little better. She picked up a little tank for some african dwarf frogs about the time I got a little five gallon, and I've given her a bit of hair grass and some anubias for it. Her excitement for aquaria leveled off a little while back though. Not really mine.

They'll all be jealous when the 30 gallon fills in though!
Or so I tell myself...

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ditto;)

And AZ (in regards to your first post) - show them your powdered dry ferts;) Then they'll think you're running a drug dealership.
LMAO. That would be hilarious. :hihi:

One of my friends said that the fish look cheap because there are so few. I have a discus in that tank.
:icon_eek:! Last time i checked, discus weren't cheap. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
my dad is really the only one who gives a crap, and its just because he is an old school aquarium keeper. he just likes to hear about the new methods compared to old. usually people dont even look at the aquarium some people stare at it for a moment as they pass by it on the way in the door, but that is about it. the CRS tank gets alot more looks(like i'm nuts).

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my dad is really the only one who gives a crap, and its just because he is an old school aquarium keeper. he just likes to hear about the new methods compared to old. usually people dont even look at the aquarium some people stare at it for a moment as they pass by it on the way in the door, but that is about it. the CRS tank gets alot more looks(like i'm nuts).
LOL yeah - when i told my friends that i was thinking about setting up a shrimp tank, they were like WTF!!!!???.

:hihi:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.