The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do your cherry shrimp eat hair/thread algae? (POLL)

• Yes, & they prefer it over any other food!

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Yes, but only if I don't feed other foods.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No, they don't seem to touch it no matter how little I feed them.

Votes: 17 58.6%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Add to the poll and post your comments here. Mine won't touch it, I hear that some do, what's your experience?

·
Registered
889 Posts
IMO, your poll is a bit flawed. You don't really give much choice of what to pick.
Like:
O I don't know, I never bothered to check.
O Yes, they eat just as much algae as other foods.

etc.

I really can't tell. I've seen the RCS picking on the glass of my tank of which I have some hair algae but I don't know if they are eating the algae o something else (or if they are eating at all).

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
For me it depends. I have the really slimy hair algae and they will eat it over ANY other food. So that's why I have some on my filter growing out the top. On the other hand I have some tougher hair algae (maybe clato...) and they don't touch it.

Won't vote in poll since it's flawed:icon_wink

-Andrew

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO, your poll is a bit flawed. You don't really give much choice of what to pick.
Like:
O I don't know, I never bothered to check.
O Yes, they eat just as much algae as other foods.

etc.

I really can't tell. I've seen the RCS picking on the glass of my tank of which I have some hair algae but I don't know if they are eating the algae o something else (or if they are eating at all).
I thought about both of those choices, as far as your first suggestion, if you've never bothered to check, don't bother to vote or comment until you've bothered to check. I'll add your second recommendation because I meant to in the first place. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I don't see how to edit a poll. I guess we're stuck with my flawed choices.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well I'm guessing my cherries love this stuff because I've never seen it. Ever. LOL. In ANY tank of mine.

I'm guessing you hair algae is actually clado otter. Are the individual strands branched?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm guessing my cherries love this stuff because I've never seen it. Ever. LOL. In ANY tank of mine.

I'm guessing you hair algae is actually clado otter. Are the individual strands branched?
Well, I had hair algae, but I beat it back into submission; then I started getting this stuff that has shorter strands and is very branched. It seems to like to grow on the substrate and the base of the driftwood. It's really holds onto the substrate in clumps when you pull it out. So that's called clado? Can you tell me what is causing it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well clado is caused one one and only one thing IME: something that you introduced to your tank carried it.

I've never heard of anyone killing it by holding back nutrients/raise the light/up the CO2 etc. Usually you will end up nuking your tank after you've tried shooting excel at it. I nuked my 2 gallon once for it and it came back... I actually became an expert a looking for clado. I don't miss even the smallest of strands! :-D.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Well, I had hair algae, but I beat it back into submission; then I started getting this stuff that has shorter strands and is very branched. It seems to like to grow on the substrate and the base of the driftwood. It's really holds onto the substrate in clumps when you pull it out. So that's called clado? Can you tell me what is causing it? Thanks!
Yeah sounds like clado, I have a little bit I need to kill... On my willow moss:mad: 2L of Excel should help:biggrin:

I just dumped a ton of hair algae in my tank, all being eaten right now, Later if it's still there I'll take a pic.

-Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts