The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you generally use parasite/bacterial medication when quarantining new fish as a precaution?

I bought 3 peppered corys today. Since this is the 1st time I'm using a QT, I don't know if I should simply observe them or if I should use precautionary medication.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've started routinely worming all new fish in QT, but I won't medicate otherwise unless I see something wrong. I DO keep an eagle eye on them, and I'm very quick with Melafix and/or Pima fix if I see anything at all wrong. I QT for 2 weeks if no issues, or minimum 4 weeks if I do.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
+1 on keeping an eagle eye out @ first

and +1 on melafix and/or pimafix if i do see a problem.

LauraLee - i know you've mentioned it on other threads, but how do you worm your fish?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yep, the fenbendazole/garlic flake is the one I use on a regular basis.

I keep them in the freezer when not in use, to make sure the flakes stay fresh.

I'll also feed raw crushed garlic from time to time. Surprising to me, but most of my fish will eat it!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Yep, the fenbendazole/garlic flake is the one I use on a regular basis.

I keep them in the freezer when not in use, to make sure the flakes stay fresh.

I'll also feed raw crushed garlic from time to time. Surprising to me, but most of my fish will eat it!
Cool, thanks for the info! And yeah, raw crushed garlic is what i've used in the past....this food looks like it's probably quite a bit cleaner and easier than the garlic method, though I imagine both are smelly ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread! I figure it's pertinent to the original question though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have Melafix, Pimafix, Metro, Cupramine, Paraguard & anti-bacterial/parasite pellets. The corys seem fine but the problem is they are so small (< 1 inch) that it's hard to see if they have infection. Do Mela & Pima prevent bacterial diseases? Or, do they only cure them?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info! And yeah, raw crushed garlic is what i've used in the past....this food looks like it's probably quite a bit cleaner and easier than the garlic method, though I imagine both are smelly ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread! I figure it's pertinent to the original question though.

sorry to bring up the garlic thing again but do you think it would be ok to use granulated garlic? it's a baked garlic powder.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've heard that garlic powder is much less effective than raw, so that's what I always use personally. Can't say I've ever tested it myself, however. Raw garlic is cheap and easy enough to come by, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.