The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that using activated carbon in the filter can remove some of the liquid fertilzers and add phospates to the tank, which can cause algae blooms. Is this true?

Right now I have activated carbon in my newly planted 5.5g tank so should I use it or get rid of it?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
if its a brand new setup carbon wont really hurt it. but after its established i would remove it. no real need for it in a planted tank because yes it does remove the ferts that we dose.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I usually don't use it. I have some in my new aquarium setup but it's probably worn out. It's been in many tanks over a year or more and I just have it in there to catch stuff that floats in the water. I rinse it out when it gets clogged.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I usually don't use it. I have some in my new aquarium setup but it's probably worn out. It's been in many tanks over a year or more and I just have it in there to catch stuff that floats in the water. I rinse it out when it gets clogged.
+1 great for startup of a tanks but quickly become inert after about 2 months or so then it becomes a excellent bio filter due to its massive about of surface area.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
+1 great for startup of a tanks but quickly become inert after about 2 months or so then it becomes a excellent bio filter due to its massive about of surface area.
+1 on this :) though i hear good things about purigen too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.