The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trimming the water column roots off my stem plants, only where the roots are visible (plants include Rotala Vietnam, Ludwigia Repens 'Super Red', couple others...). Interestingly, I notice there may be two kinds of water column roots on a plant, a smooth root with no offshoots and a "raggy" root with lots of branching.

I'm curious if others do this and if there are any benefits or problems that can result.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I believe trimming these would be aesthetics only. Benefits would be if you trimmed the plant, there are those roots to start off right away, otherwise it should not be a problem trimming these.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I believe trimming these would be aesthetics only. Benefits would be if you trimmed the plant, there are those roots to start off right away, otherwise it should not be a problem trimming these.
It's like trimming hedges... doesn't do much for the plant, it's for us humans. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.