The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost done scaping my 20L. I have a few Anubias that I am going to add and more Anacharis but I am pretty happy. I have 2 pseudomystus funebris that I have been thinking about adding to this tank but I had always planned on having a betta sorrority in here.

Do you think Pseudomystus funebris and a betta sorority will be compatible in this tank? I was thinking of 5-6 female bettas. The only other tankmates are snails, 1 apple snail, 1 nerite, and hitchhiker pond snails.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
STRONGLY advise against a betta splended sorority. Your tank is no where near densely planted enough to consider trying a sorority. if you want to attempt one to give the girls a chance at hiding you need that thing so densely planted you cannot see from front to back, or side to side (I'm talking thick [censor] mass of plants you can't see through). With as barren as the tank is now the dominant female/bully of the sonority will always see the others and be able to constantly chase/attack/harass them.. to death...
DO NOT ADD A BETTA SORORITY.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
B. splendens sororities do not work. They can manage to exist for awhile, but eventually something will trigger unrest, the delicate (and stressful) social balance will collapse, and they'll tear each other apart.
Now, there are a few species of wild bettas that could work. B. albimarginata is a personal favorite of mine, and they can be kept in small groups made up of both males and females with no issues. Also, there's no reason they shouldn't be compatible with tiny catfish.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've done that many females in a six foot long 125 gallon tank..
For a 30" long you'd probably be lucky if 2 or 3 worked and that's IF you get some more solid vertical breaks in there.
Depending on the personalities.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
If you care at all for the bettas health ad comfort (non stressful life) don't make a splenden sorority. If you really want a group of bettas look into the wild type species, see if any are compatible with your water params. Wild types are not as aggressive as slendens and can live in groups in a 20g long. I'd still strongly advise making that tank MUCH more densely planted first though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I will continue planting and I will do more research on wild type females or research keeping a single male B. Splendens in a community tank. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a friend who has a Betta sorority of 7 or so and they get along very peacefully among themselves. HOWEVER, he said they would turn into a pack of raptors and hunt down even large Amano shrimp. But again, peaceful among their group, no fighting at all.

My friend is also very into Bettas as well, so he has done a lot of research on them and told me there was a guy in Germany who had a tank with 7 or so MALE Bettas together and they got along perfectly fine. No fighting/flaring or fin damage at all. But I am not sure if there were any females to compete for, and I don't know if he carefully selected only particularly peaceful specimens. He did show me a picture of the tank with all the Bettas and they were all different so they weren't relatives, all adults with beautiful undamaged fins, and the tank didn't look too large either and they were hanging out right beside each other so it doesn't appear they even defend territories. And yes, he mentioned that the tank has been up and running with all the Bettas together for years, not like they just threw it all together for a quick few pictures.

So I guess that just further puts across the point that it depends on the individual fishes' behavior.
In groups, I have heard of many species morphing their behavior/demeanor to match that of the "pack leader", so if the pack leader is aggressive, the rest will be too, but if the leader is peaceful, then the group will be peaceful too. Can't say without a doubt this holds true to Bettas as well, but from what I am putting together, this seems true.

Now with that said, I think the cases I mentioned above are a whole lot less common, so it is unlikely you would get the same peaceful results as it seems it is more likely/common for Bettas to be more aggressive toward their own kind (Betta Splendens). So, general consensus is that your sorority will probably end up chaotic, but there is always a (slim) chance it can work out. Just wanted to mention that. Not necessarily encouraging anyone to risk trying it though.

But for sake of the fish and a newbie to the hobby, I would go with the others advise and avoid a Betta sorority, and I would only recommend attempting to peacefully keep Betta Splendens together if you are a advanced fish keeper that takes steps to make sure all fish are happy and healthy with their tankmates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.