The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 neon tetras and 1 dwarf gourami and 1 blue mystery snail in a 10 gallon. (20 inch wide. 10 inch length. 12 inch height). How many Amano or cherry shrimp do you think I could add? Or which one do you think I should add?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I would think you could put a half dozen Amano shrimp in there without any issues. I know some keep cherry shrimp and dwarf gourami together, without an established colony and as lightly as your tank is planted, I would expect the gourami to pick off the shrimp.
Just as an FYI, you'll find "experts" that say a dwarf gourami is fine in 10 gallons. Others say 15 to 20 as a minimum.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Your dwarf gourami will probably eat the smaller shrimp. Mine does... The females seem to be more persistent. I have a male gourami in my 10 gallon quarantine tank, because he a jerk and picks on all the fish his size in my other tanks. he does just fine in the 10 gallon.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Any fish bigger than an inch will pick off neocardinia shrimp. I would not recommend mixing the two.

If you have a docile Gourami, you could definitely stock a few amano shrimp, as they are a bit bigger.

However with a gourami and 7 tetras in a 10g you are pushing the limit of your bioload. Unless you plan on upgrading to a bigger tank or planting much heavier, I would recommend against further stocking.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've seen guppies eating shrimp.

But yeah, I should have said "most fish"

If I were to correct myself, I'd say ALL fish would eat your shrimp. I've seen even the most non aggressive algae eating fish eat shrimp. It is the natural cycle of predation.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
What kind of filter do you have? You can go to AQADVISOR to check stocking levels. I checked but had to stick a random filter in. With an Aquaclear 20 as a filter it says if you have 7 neons, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 mystery snail and 10 Amano shrimp, you're at 98% stocking level. And yes, cherry shrimp can definitely be a meal for small fish. A newborn shrimp is about 1mm long. If your not real familiar with the metric system you could line 6 of them up end to end in 1/4 inch space. They are tiny!

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
I was going to add blue dream neocaridina to a planted 10 gal with guppies. would the guppies eat the adult shrimp? I have a number of places for young to hide. If they ate a few babies that would be ok.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think you could put a half dozen Amano shrimp in there without any issues. I know some keep cherry shrimp and dwarf gourami together, without an established colony and as lightly as your tank is planted, I would expect the gourami to pick off the shrimp.
Just as an FYI, you'll find "experts" that say a dwarf gourami is fine in 10 gallons. Others say 15 to 20 as a minimum.
Okay from your answer and others it looks like im going to stick to my tank right now and not push the bioload. Based on what you know, how many water changes do you think are needed?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have a 17 gallon that I heavily planted. I added 10 Ember tetras that were roughly 3/4's grown, so they were all about 5/8's of an inch, they're now adult sized and I'm finding that they ignore Neo shrimp from a 3/8ths" or bigger. And since the tank is really densely planted, I believe the tiniest shrimp go unnoticed by the fish.

I'm not saying there isn't some sly snacking going on, but I have so many Juvies crawling and swimming around and the tetras just don't bother them. I'd say your Gourami will eat the younger Neos, they are a carnivorous fish, I've seen videos of Sparkling Gouramis hunting small Neo shrimp, so definitely the bigger Dwarf Gourami will be inclined.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
With a moderate to heavily planted tank and an established colony you can keep shrimp even with some larger fish, but the OP's tank is lightly planted and it's a dwarf gourami. They get to 3.5 inches. It might work out, but if you try it, have some options to be able to separate critters if things go south unless you're ok with giving your fish an expensive meal. Dwarf gouramis are generally peaceful fish but they gotta eat too and different fish of the same species can act completely different.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
@Griffinpeterson I would recommend amanos if you go with shrimp at all... or anything larger. Without knowing your water parameters, plus fish, I would not recommend smaller shrimp.

@greenguppy wouldn't recommend unless your tank is heavily planted. In fact, if you REALLY want to combine them, set up a dedicated shrimp tank first and get a colony going before even attempting to add shrimp to the tank.

A good general rule of thumb would be to set up a shrimp tank first, heavily planted and get a colony going before even considering adding fish... and have a backup tank if the fish don't work out. In this way, you can get a large number of shrimp first and make sure that the water parameters are good for shrimp.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I think as mentioned hiding places whether it's via hardscape or plants play a big role in developing a thriving colony with fish. I can't say how many/if any of my neos have been eating, but I've sold off alot of shrimp and my numbers continue to swell to easily over a hundred and I started with just 5 or 6.

Here's a pic of some young shrimp being ignored by a "gigantic Black Neon"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.