The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought fish would prefer no lights and the 7 hours of light I give them is mostly for the plants.

Now that I have a light with a built in timer, I want to actually use it, and was wondering how common it is for people to use moonlights?

Do you go just very dim white? Blue? How bright?

Would love to be able to see the fish at night but don't want to put stress on them.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I run a moonlight on one of my tanks. It's blue, at 1%.

It doesn't seem to bother the fish. (Zebra danios and black skirt tetras.)

When the lights ramp up in the morning, they often start breeding. (Followed by eating as many of the eggs as they can find.)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I used to run moonlights over most of the tanks in the fish room. But the room also has a few tanks that run lights 24/7 so the room was never pitch black anyway so I decided to remove the moonlights just to eliminate some electrical clutter. I used blue actinics. They never bothered anything swimming under them. I found they soften the ramp up to full lighting (and reverse in the evening) so there's fewer photoshock events. I did leave them over a 180G planted tank in the den. The effect of blue actinic lighting is just pretty neat in my book.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I use the cool white LEDs of my LED arrays as moonlights. They're controlled by my Bluefish Mini LED controller to follow the monthly moon phase. The controller allows a user defined maximum intensity to be set for the moonlights. Mine are set to range between 0 & .1%. It's a nice effect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.