The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no doubt whatsoever that new livestock must go through a QT period....IMO lol. Question I have is, should I QT new plants? It seems to me that there is a myriad of undesirables that can find there way into a tank via new plants.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I never have personally. I usually do give them a rinse though and look them over for some of those undesirables (snails in particular).

I guess it isn't a bad idea, but I would doubt most people go through the process. You are probably further ahead to try to assure you are getting healthy plants to begin with. If you are buying online this is a problem, but if you are selecting them from a LFS inspect the tank a bit first. Are the plants and fish in the LFS's tank healthy? Or do the plant leaves look like they are riddled with bullet holes and fish spotted with ich? If you see pond snails all over the stores display tank, you can bet your money that there will at least be eggs on the plants you are getting from it.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Unlike livestock (100% QT) plants are 50/50 depending on the source.
Same process used on fish of running new plants through my QT tank looking for trouble. Mostly to eliminate unwanted snails. Bleach kills plants and fish (imo) so I don't use it.

haha I would doubt most people go through any process other than a water rinse when most don't QT new livestock in any meaningful way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.