The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to my Eheim manuals, the user is supposed to lubricate the O-ring (with the Eheim maintenance spray).

Granted, since I got into this hobby only recently, I have never lubricated the O-rings of my 3 Eheim Filters.

Bigals sells the Eheim spray for $22. Is it worth the money? Should I lubricate the impeller, too?

Besides the Eheim spray, what can be used?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I bought the spray Eheim lubricant to access the 2028 priming button o-ring and yes, I find it ridiculously expensive but it simplifies this task only. I use Eheim lube or plumbing silicone lubricant on all other o-rings that are easily accessible. I clean the o-rings during filter maintenance & lube them before reassembly.
There is no benefit to lubricating the impeller.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...Home Depot sells plumbing silicone lubricant for less than $3. I'll go with the cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Chrisk - is it pure silicone lubricant spray or does it contain "petroleum distillates"? If it does, don't use it. It's likely to ruin your o-rings.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The Eheim Water Neutral Maintenance spray (150ml or 5.2 fl.oz.), part # 7200060, is CFC-free, without solvents & oils or environmentally toxic substances. It is specifically made for lubricating o-rings and other parts in aquarium products.

This was the product that I purchased from bigals for $23. I've been using it since August of 2009 with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I don't have an Eheim but, I have a Rena that I have lubricated the o rings with Petroleum jelly. Just in case, I have spares on hand. So far, no degradation, swelling or stretching of the o rings. The filter was purchased in 2004. I wonder if not, using petroleum products is another one of the those "Old Wives Tales" still circulating in the hobby.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
...I wonder if not, using petroleum products is another one of the those "Old Wives Tales" still circulating in the hobby.
I wonder about that also. I recently replaced the seal rings on my fluvals and the insert said to lubricate them with petroleum jelly when needed. I was a bit surprised after reading several times on TPT not to lube filter o-rings with petroleum jelly.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
I use vaseline. It is the exact same thing Eheim ships in the little package. Been using it for close to 20 yrs on my canisters and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amazon sells the Eheim spray can for $17. I guess I'll order Dow 111 food-grade pure silicone grease instead ($18). It should be easier to use than a spray can, I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts