The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TPT! If you have experience with Bloodfin Tetras I need your help. I am trying to decide if this species would be perfect for my tank. I need to know one thing. What is their schooling pattern? Do they move as one like carp? Meaning a big mass never breaking or do they simply school in a loose, but close group?

Thanks!

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
It depends on tank mates and the size of the tank. In my experience they are great schoolers as long as they are in a good sized school 8+ and they are one of the smaller species of fish in the tank.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to both of you. Here is some more details about the environment they'd be in. A ton of plants with some rocks, manzanita branches, black substrate and low light. If I do everything right, there should be passageways, caves, over-hangs and open water. If I decide to go with Bloddfin Tetras, they will be sharing the tank with the exsisting Betta and her 2 Angelfish companions. (the three of them pal around together consistantly)

So, in an environment such as this one, would the schooling behavior of Bloodfins be as if they are one? Meaning very tight.
Thank you :)

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Thank you to both of you. Here is some more details about the environment they'd be in. A ton of plants with some rocks, manzanita branches, black substrate and low light. If I do everything right, there should be passageways, caves, over-hangs and open water. If I decide to go with Bloddfin Tetras, they will be sharing the tank with the exsisting Betta and her 2 Angelfish companions. (the three of them pal around together consistantly)

So, in an environment such as this one, would the schooling behavior of Bloodfins be as if they are one? Meaning very tight.
Thank you :)
Im pretty sure they would school pretty great! Especially since there will be angels with them. Bloodfins are very underrated. They dont school quite as much as rummynose, but by a very close margin. They still swim together in a group better than 90% of tetras. You will really like them!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im pretty sure they would school pretty great! Especially since there will be angels with them. Bloodfins are very underrated. They dont school quite as much as rummynose, but by a very close margin. They still swim together in a group better than 90% of tetras. You will really like them!

Sounds good! Thank you :) Have you ever kept them with Angels? I was just watching some youtube vids and someone had 9+ bloodfins (if I remember correctly) and the Angelfish have been controlling their movements keeping them contained under a rock and killing those that come out. The Bloodfins appear to be full grown.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
I have not kept angelfish with my bloodfins. But that seems pretty odd because bloodfins are pretty big for a tetra, and I have seen numerous videos with angels and bloodfins as well as similar tetras such as rummynose. My only explanation to that would be that the angels havent been fed in two weeks or something. Im not even sure an angel can catch a bloodfin, they are so fast.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not kept angelfish with my bloodfins. But that seems pretty odd because bloodfins are pretty big for a tetra, and I have seen numerous videos with angels and bloodfins as well as similar tetras such as rummynose. My only explanation to that would be that the angels havent been fed in two weeks or something. Im not even sure an angel can catch a bloodfin, they are so fast.
That was my theory too; that the Angels hadn't been fed for awhile or not enough of the right kind of food. The video shows nothing more than the bloodfins huddled together and the description talks about the situation with the Angels vs Bloodfins.

Maybe the attacks are happening at night when Angels ambush their prey? I'm going to try to find that video again and ask the owner for more info.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I had bloodfins with angels. Bloodfins are top level fish and jumped out and/or got into the sump of a Seaclear System II where it was impossible to remove them so didn't last long for me. Angels were fine with them and actually loved the caviar when the tetras spawned high in the tank. This tank had hornwort, perhaps that gave the tetras good cover?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had bloodfins with angels. Bloodfins are top level fish and jumped out and/or got into the sump of a Seaclear System II where it was impossible to remove them so didn't last long for me. Angels were fine with them and actually loved the caviar when the tetras spawned high in the tank. This tank had hornwort, perhaps that gave the tetras good cover?

Thank you. This is the second time someone said these guys jumped the tank. So, I guess they are not the right fish for me. I have a lot of open areas they could jump out of and there is a lot of activity outside the tank which will most likely spook them causing jumpers.

Thank you everyone for your help!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.