The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do you have a Riparium?

• Yes, and I love it!

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Yes, but I'm not sure I will keep it.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • No, but I'm interested in reading about them.

Votes: 45 69.2%
  • No, and I'm not interested in them.

Votes: 6 9.2%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ripariums are the newest form of a planted aquarium, allowing the use of both terrestrial and aquatic plants in one beautiful setting. But, it looks like only a small minority of us are doing Ripariums. Where do you stand on Ripariums?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I think that, because they are new to the scene, it's gonna take a minute before people catch on and see the possibilities. I can only speak for myself, but so far the ones I've seen, while beautiful, all look very similar to each other. And my view on that is, I'm starting to see some people coloring outside the lines so to speak with some of the more recent ones, and it's helping me to see what can be done with them, but I still see them all as being a little too homogenous for my liking.

As of now, I'm still waiting for more people to "pave the way" I guess, and show me that all ripariums don't look the same, or have the same plants, or use the same hardscapes, etc.

I really like the idea of the catfish riparium that Hydrophyte is gearing up for. That one should be exciting. I'd also like to see some little "island-type" ripariums, based around a natural snag that occurs in the middle of a river. Or a brackish mangrove shoreline riparium would be cool! I'm also waiting for the DIY'ers to get a hold of these ripariums and find interesting and clever ways to feature the submerged portion better, like with some illumination, or some cool rockscapes, so that there can be more focus on fish and critters.

Basically, they are new, and people just need to keep putting the idea out there, like you're doing with this thread, and it'll spread.

Um, no, I don't have a riparium. At least not yet.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I´m on the process of building one on top of my silver dollar tank (it has a tall glass cover like a greenhouse). Still on the works but already have a couple of echinodorus and crypts that are doing fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got a cool 18X18X18 Exo Terra Terrarium from the flea market for $25 bucks. These things sell for $199 at Petsmart... Right now it houses my Tarantula, but if i see something good in the Riparium genre i might have to put Charlotte back in her ten gallon...

Would this thing work for a riparium?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
My 20g will be a riparium as soon as I get back from vacation! Untill then, I will have to settle with moss and looking at everybody elses!

I voted "Yes, but I'm not sure I will keep it," just because I havent set it up yet!

Also, what is the definition of a riparium? I Wikied it and this is what it came up with: Riparium, a paludarium with circulating current through different-leveled pools.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'd also like to see some little "island-type" ripariums, based around a natural snag that occurs in the middle of a river.
Now you're talking. Do it, so that I might copy it!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
i want one but my girlfriend wont let me have any more tanks till i buy us a house. so my next tank will be about a $250,000 investment. btw... the house we're looking at has a pond in the back yard! AWESOME!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a cool 18X18X18 Exo Terra Terrarium from the flea market for $25 bucks. These things sell for $199 at Petsmart... Right now it houses my Tarantula, but if i see something good in the Riparium genre i might have to put Charlotte back in her ten gallon...

Would this thing work for a riparium?
I think it would work well for a low water Riparium, but I don't think those tanks are designed to be filled with water. If it could take the full filling, it could be a good high water Riparium - water level about 2/3 of the way up.

EDIT: I just noticed that this can't hold water at all! Sorry about that. Maybe Charlotte has a good deal going there.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 20g will be a riparium as soon as I get back from vacation! Untill then, I will have to settle with moss and looking at everybody elses!

I voted "Yes, but I'm not sure I will keep it," just because I havent set it up yet!

Also, what is the definition of a riparium? I Wikied it and this is what it came up with: Riparium, a paludarium with circulating current through different-leveled pools.
As we are using the term "riparium" it is a tank with both aquatic and terrestrial plants, but no "land" area. Like a river bank just up to the edge of the land. This requires the plants to be suspended from the glass walls of the tank, or floated on rafts in the water.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
As we are using the term "riparium" it is a tank with both aquatic and terrestrial plants, but no "land" area. Like a river bank just up to the edge of the land. This requires the plants to be suspended from the glass walls of the tank, or floated on rafts in the water.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

I reallly really reallllllleeeee want to start mine, but I have heard to many "on vacation horror storys" to set it up before I go!

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
This is bollocks though, really. Please entertain the musings of a philosopher to see why. Rivers don't have plants on/in plastic, and a river's edge is very much a land mass. Perhaps there is reason to distinguish ripariums from palludariums, since the term "riparium" connotes river, whereas "palludarium" connotes marsh. In practice though, it is really a matter of how much focus is given to land, since most of the plants in ripariums are marsh specimens, not riverine. It's perhaps still a useful distinction in that traditional palludariums tended to have quite a bit of land, ripariums just what fits in the cups and what is "suggested" by the flotation devices, but this is a difference in degree, not a difference in kind. Let's distinguishes Ripariums© from ripariums though. A riparium does not "require" using particular products to achieve a look. I'm not saying that there is no place for such products or that they aren't useful, effective, etc., or that we shouldn't patronize a small businesses with a great guy at the helm, but the products certainly aren't necessary for creating a riverine-scape, i.e., a riparium. For example, I'm going to do a 75g tank (once my crypt tank peaks out) with a very marginal landmass - just sufficient to root the emmersed plants really - in a 1/3 section of the back of the tank sustained by a rockscape shelf, which will prevent having to hide all the plastic sustaining the plants (not to mention costs), as well as hide the filter inlets and outlets (which will be drilled into the back of the tank behind the land), and allow some neat mosswork amongst the rocks, nicely transitioning the submerged to emmersed areas. Riparium or paludarium? tomāto tomäto.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ That was very well said. I've mentioned in other threads before that the meaning behind "riparium" around these parts is a bit skewed, but whatever, the end product is usually pretty and does commonly look like a riverside. But yeah, riparium just means riverbank or shoreline, or simply, where the water meets the land. Whereas a paludarium should be a swamp or marsh, which of course, contains both land and water, just like ripariums do.

But I agree about the tomāto tomäto thing.

macclellan said:
Let's distinguishes Ripariums© from ripariums though.
lol

1 - 20 of 56 Posts