The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had curved fluval tweezers and they were worthless. The plant would come back out of the substrate with the tweezers. I replaced with a kit on amazon that had curved scissors, curved tweezers, and straight tweezers. I like the straight tweezers, the tip is skinny and the plants stay in the substrate when you pull the tweezers out.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Right now I only have my hands and one pair of 12" tweezers, it took me a long time to learn how to use the tweezers well but now I cam pretty much plant anything with them and get it to stay in place on the first try. I have often though a small version of a bulb planter would work out well in aquariums, but have never seen one so I just dig a hole with my finger.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have one pair of 6" tweezers and a pair of 6" tissue scissors from Dr's Forster Smith. They work really well. As some have mentioned, the tweezers have a learning curve for planting. I've found substrate makes a big difference as well. Eco complete is a huge pain to plant in with tweezers but aqua soil is super easy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The fine Pinsettes from GLA. They are pricey, but worth every penny.

·
Planted Tanker
6,080 Posts
10" tweezers, couldnt do without them
8'" scissors
Sand rake, which I made. It's very handy since my sub is all sand
Push rod for burying loose balls of Osmocote+. Also homemade. It just a SS welding rod with a concave appendage added to the end.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have several blunt end diggers that I use in various combinations with each other. They are also useful for holding the plants and raking the substrate back in place. They are dexterous and can operate independently from each other. Optionally they can come with pinching and cutting attachments. When not in use in the tank they are extremely useful in everyday life. I have a set of 10 of them. :)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I have several sets of 13" tools (which is nice when working in my 90gal)- straight and curved scissors, straight and angled tweezers, foreceps, and a "rake" with a small "spatula" on one end and larger on the other. I use everything on a regular basis other than the foreceps.

I got the sets off Ebay some time back for around $25 each, came in a nifty case and everything.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I saw someone post in a thread years back where they bought some 24" long curved scissors(link has been removed), anyone know a place I can get something similar? I check on eBay and didn't see anything that size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.