The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people believe that fish do not have the cortex to display distinct personality types. I used to be one of these people.
Until I got Goldy
My female Aphyosemion australe
She is really driving me crazy
If there is any situation she can get her self in trouble with she will, while other fish hide from obvious danger like the gravel vac she just heads in full speed ahead!
She some how swam up into my DIY water polisher and I mean she didn't just get sucked up by accident, she found a small opening and went for it! ( now put panty hose over the intake)
she almost always gets sucked up in the gravel vac.
When I put co2 in she chased the bubbles on the bubble count and the diffuser for at least an hour.
Just now I had the pump turned of to feed live food and she swam up and into the lily pipe. I didn't even realize until I turned the pump on and she came squirting out:surprise:!
Right now she's hanging out near the surface, no visible injuries but not lookin so good. It could be a lack of oxygen from being stuck in the pipe or some internal injuries.I hope she survives I may train her to eat from my hand.
Any one else with fish that make you want to tare your hair out?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Some people believe that fish do not have the cortex to display distinct personality types. I used to be one of these people.
Until I got Goldy
My female Aphyosemion australe
She is really driving me crazy
If there is any situation she can get her self in trouble with she will, while other fish hide from obvious danger like the gravel vac she just heads in full speed ahead!
She some how swam up into my DIY water polisher and I mean she didn't just get sucked up by accident, she found a small opening and went for it! ( now put panty hose over the intake)
she almost always gets sucked up in the gravel vac.
When I put co2 in she chased the bubbles on the bubble count and the diffuser for at least an hour.
Just now I had the pump turned of to feed live food and she swam up and into the lily pipe. I didn't even realize until I turned the pump on and she came squirting out:surprise:!
Right now she's hanging out near the surface, no visible injuries but not lookin so good. It could be a lack of oxygen from being stuck in the pipe or some internal injuries.I hope she survives I may train her to eat from my hand.
Any one else with fish that make you want to tare your hair out?
I have observed personality in some of my fish and both personality and intelligence in all of my Bettas. There is a training kit you can use to train Bettas and goldfish to do things like roll a ball around or go through a hoop: R2 Fish School Training Kit There was even a company that made a car piloted by a goldfish: This 'Fish Car' Lets A Goldfish Drive Around | Popular Science

I wish the fish car was for sale. I would love to watch my Bettas wander around the house.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have observed personality in some of my fish and both personality and intelligence in all of my Bettas. There is a training kit you can use to train Bettas and goldfish to do things like roll a ball around or go through a hoop: R2 Fish School Training Kit There was even a company that made a car piloted by a goldfish: This 'Fish Car' Lets A Goldfish Drive Around | Popular Science

I wish the fish car was for sale. I would love to watch my Bettas wander around the house.
A fish car , now that does sound cool!

·
Registered
30 Posts
One of my female bettas jumps out of the tank at least twice a week during feedings. Sometimes multiple times in one day. She just never learns. Luckily the tank is close to the floor. :confused1:

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
One of my female bettas jumps out of the tank at least twice a week during feedings. Sometimes multiple times in one day. She just never learns. Luckily the tank is close to the floor. :confused1:
Well, if the fish can't figure out how to prevent this, maybe the fish keeper should step in and lend a hand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, if the fish can't figure out how to prevent this, maybe the fish keeper should step in and lend a hand.
I do as much as possible to prevent it from happening, yet she still does it. The tank is well covered and I feed and put the lid back down as quickly as I can. I've tried lowering the water level too, but she is just that stong of a jumper. Luckily the tank sits on the floor and is on carpet, so the fall doesn't hurt her. When it happens I just grab her off the floor with my hand and plop her back in the tank. She goes about her business as if nothing happened.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Today she was swimming into the current of the out flow lily pipe. Perhaps its just her instinct, she is the dominant female after all. She must go where no one has gone before!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a cherry barb who seriously just likes doing somersaults for no apparent reason. Thought it had something to do with his swim bladder but he proves to be able to swim properly when he wants. He just really likes somersaulting.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Try feeding them small pieces of dry nori sheets, about a fingernail's worth at a time.
I just ask the guy making sushi at the supermarket for any off-cuts to feed my fish.
They are possibly looking for more vegetable matter in their diet. Almost all my fish will take nori.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Recently I had a pump failure in my 29gal (long story) I had to pull out all the bio media and put it in media bags with an air stone underneath. Everyone was unhappy, all the shrimp and fish were hiding except my panda corys, they were riding the bubble stream like a playground ride it was hilarious.

Bump:
I have a cherry barb who seriously just likes doing somersaults for no apparent reason. Thought it had something to do with his swim bladder but he proves to be able to swim properly when he wants. He just really likes somersaulting.
:laugh2:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I did a tear out and rescape with my fish in the tank about 3-4 months ago. My rainbows are fine and come up to the glass every time I approach, but my cories (six of them) bolt away cramming themselves into any crack available.

Wish I could do something about this...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If I need to get a photo of my 20 H for my journal, the tetras all gang up and scrunch together where the camera lens is, so I get seriously photo-bombed by my fish when I go to take a progress photo.

It's not like I ignore them, and they're really happy, well fed. They just do this one annoying thing.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I did a tear out and rescape with my fish in the tank about 3-4 months ago. My rainbows are fine and come up to the glass every time I approach, but my cories (six of them) bolt away cramming themselves into any crack available.

Wish I could do something about this...
Cory's do that, well except for big mamma cory in my tank, she knows I feed them, and comes up to me. Wearing bright coloured clothing really gives them a good fright though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Cory's do that, well except for big mamma cory in my tank, she knows I feed them, and comes up to me. Wearing bright coloured clothing really gives them a good fright though.
Any way to get them not to any more? It's been several (at least 4 months) and they're unseen in the tank. If I peek around the sides of the tank to see them, and they happen to be there, they will bolt the other direction. It's getting to the point where we're thinking about bringing them to the LFS to trade them in for something else.

We are planning on getting a 75 gallon next year. Do you think that rehoming them in a new tank will "reset" their behavior?

Or adding another school of cories will help change their behavior? We really like the pygmy cories. I'm worried about overstocking though if we go that route.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Get albino cory's they tend to be half blind anyway. They will be more at ease with lots of hiding places, like oak leaves on the bottom, as well as a bit of tannin in the water to reduce visibility.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My middle child goldfish, is the only fish that constantly rips out all my plants. She's a small tail common goldie, where as the other two are comets, with big flowing tails. I think she's acting out for attention.. Lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts