The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feed my rasboras 3 times a day, maybe too much. I'm thinking of not feeding them at least once a week, do you do that?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Depends on the fish. With yours i would do it only twice a day, and i always fast my cichlids on Fridays, but small constant on the move fish i don't fast.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I feed once per day and fast twice per week, not by any regimen mostly that I just forget at least once to feed them and my wife is no help. I also feel mostly frozen and high quality foods. A de-shelled pea every week or two is also good imo

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok that sounds good. I'll do the twice a day feeding and feed them peas once a week. Do I need to put the peas in the microwave for few seconds to soften them up?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
So I feed my community tank 2-3 times a day, and I make my big red devil cichlid fast about 2 days a week. But if I notice that the fish in my tanks are not eating the food I am giving them I will fast them for a day or two just to make sure they are hungry next time around. In the wild a lucky fish will have a complete meal every couple of days, most fish in the wild resort to eating plant matter and things of that nature when it is hard to catch prey.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My main tank (40) with endlers, CPD, and a few others gets fed every 12hrs so technically twice per day. I ended up buying an eheim auto feeder (way cheaper on the bay) so they get roughly the same amount of food at the same times each day. This was mostly to prevent over feeding and population explosion in my Endler colony. It seems to be working...I have a lot of endlers but the tank is not solid full of them.

In my 20g long with just neons I feed once a day. And my nano tank at work with 5 Dwarf Emerald Rasboras and who knows how many cherry shrimp, I feed just 3 times a week.

I will add freeze dried foods or live micro worms to my home tanks about every other day.

3 times a day seems pretty excessive.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ok that sounds good. I'll do the twice a day feeding and feed them peas once a week. Do I need to put the peas in the microwave for few seconds to soften them up?
Yes, take a few frozen peas in a moist paper towel folded under and over them. For just a few seconds, maybe 5=10 try least first.. Then pinch the Peas slightly in your fingers to get the center out of the shell. Feed the center. Also, make sure the peas are un salted. I generally feed the peas the night before a tank cleaning and water change. Becomes a routine, clean out their system a bit and helps prevent bloat.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems that everyone has slight different approach in feeding. I used to just feed once a day when I had Oscar and Green terror, homemade food that is. It's just this time my tank is in the bedroom, it's kinda easy to overfeed because they're always looking at me and begging for food. I should think more of their health by feeding less, and less amount.
I've red that green peas is really good for their digestive tract, I'll see if they like it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Is the pea for certain types of fish only? What is it supposed to help for the fish?

I've never heard of it so I'm curious.
Peas are a sort of laxative for fish. Helps keep em regular and flush their system.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I offer peas to my Shubunken and Koi in my outdoor pond but not very often and not as any sort of staple. You can just put a handful of frozen peas in a cup/bowl of hot tap water, the only reason for this is so can get shell off which is important. You only want to feed the inner pea. I would not use peas as a replacement to any sort of quality staple or frozen food but maybe once a month or less. I only offer peas to my outdoor fish a couple times a year.

·
Planted Tanker
6,057 Posts
I usually feed mine very small amounts 2-3 times a day. I do like to go one day without feeding them every couple weeks or so. I dont have a set routine for it or anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts