The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
snails are your friend
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess since we've been having people over again since being vaccinated; I've become a bit hyper aware of this but it's definitely a thing. I have two high tech planted 50 gallon cube aquariums in my living room that you walk past when entering the house. It's not like they are easily missed; they are brightly lit in a rather dark house at night. We've had a few people over lately and it usually goes one of two ways. Our guests seem to either go right to them and ask questions, or ignore them completely. We had a couple over for dinner a few weeks back who ate right by them and paid them no more mind than if they were an empty chair. I know they aren't everyone's thing; but I find it interesting that an aquascaped aquarium with colorful plants, fish and shrimp a few feet from them couldn't even catch their eye. What about you guys?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The size of mine and the inhabitants in them make them impossible to ignore for almost anyone.... But a few have. Most of the people that come over my house are teenagers and usually the biggest reaction I get is "Cool- can I feed them?" (giant comet goldfish, hornpout, guppy colony and turtles). Most little kid sit with a cat in their lap out front of the goldfish tank. Most adults ask how much it costs to keep them and how much time I spend on them. Some people will ask in more detail about things and want to see my personal tanks. Others stop at the money/ time questions 😅

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've had a few unexpected reactions. Some people are confused when they look at 3 tanks and see nothing but tiny black shrimp in them. Where's the fish?

Another time I had let the long green thread algae take over the tetra tank, so it had long streamers on driftwood and back walls (like a moss wall). One weekend I finally had enough and did a big scrub down of everything til the glass sparked. My bf complained it was gone bc he liked the way the algae looked "waving in the wind"

·
Registered
18 Posts
The few times we've had people over they wanna see the the tanks. Currently have 10x shrimp and 2x fish tanks. Everyone wants to see these shrimp I keep, cause thats something a crazy person does i guess lol...

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
"Is this salt water?"
LOL that's the standard question for sure.

Then when I start explaining what is going on, their eyes start rolling back in their head.

Most seemed confused by what they are seeing, as they have never seen anything like it, and frankly weren't even aware it exists.

I've had the pleasure of having a few hobbyist visit my home, and those conversations can go on effortlessly for hours. Let's face it. Unless you know something of the hobby, most of this stuff sounds like a bunch of gibberish to most people.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Only had a few people over in last year or so - pandemic, we live in the boonies, kids are pretty much all grown up, etc..
Reactions have ranged from not even noticing them, to "wow, that's a lot of tanks", and "why are all the fish so small?"

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I was told by a guy that works at ADG in Houston that salt water tanks are easier to keep then planted tanks and if that is true I thought it was the opposite. Too late :ROFLMAO:
FOWLR with refugium lightly stocked and fully enclosed is hands down easier to keep than aquascapes with dwarf shrimp. I am willing to die for this statement 😂

·
Registered
95 Posts
A lot of people don't care about aquariums. Same thing when you have visitors that come over and they don't care about your children, cat, dog, etc. Planted tanks can be a chore with the plant growth rates or algae battles. Saltwater is more expensive to setup and maintain and is more tedious because you can't just use dechlorinated tap water. You need to prepare the water (ro/di), heat the water, add salt...

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
A lot of people don't care about aquariums. Same thing when you have visitors that come over and they don't care about your children, cat, dog, etc. Planted tanks can be a chore with the plant growth rates or algae battles. Saltwater is more expensive to setup and maintain and is more tedious because you can't just use dechlorinated tap water. You need to prepare the water (ro/di), heat the water, add salt...
A lot of people require ro/di that might be fine without it with salt and remineralizing for shrimp isn't much different (reef salt and shrimp remineralizer are comparable in cost for use). Comes down to ferts which you only use for planted tanks, not saltwater FOWLR (fish only with live rock). Lighting is way more simple. Set up is actually similar in costs because of cost of live rock versus hardscape, substrate and plants. This definitely does not apply to reef tanks- I 100% agree on expense of equipment and started up... $125 dollars for a frag and $85 for a single fish... Ouch...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts