The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting 80 new spiral vals for my 60 gallon tank. I was doing some research for best practices and came across this video.

In the video the guy trimmed the roots at the 1 minute mark. Is that what I should do? Does it help the val adjust to the new environment? (I don't think the val in the video is spiral val, but I assume the principle is the same.)

Also, should I cut off leaves that have been bent hard during transit (and therefore likely to die)? The vals will come via UPS so there's probably going to be a lot of damaged leaves.

FWIW, my tank is not ideal for spiral vals. It will be a bit hot (82-84 degree Discus tank), and my water is super hard. Lighting will be low to medium (my discus don't like it too bright).

·
Registered
175 Posts
I always trim the roots of new plants, or when replanting old plants. Cutting the root tips encourages new growth faster based on how the cells in the root grow/spread. I don't have a method for cutting them, I just trim the long ones and snip the shorter ones at the tip.

I've had plants grow back from having basically no roots, since they either rotted away or they fell off when I was replanting them. I'd trim the roots down to 1-2 inches, leaving some long and some shorter.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I usually cut their roots to about 2". Peel off the leaves at rizhome, starting with the outside leaves. Planting them will be a pain - they will keep floating up.

Reactions: p2002

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys this is very helpful!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.