The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't. I like the wild types.
I like them too! My plan was to cull them by moving them into their own wild type tank, and keep the more solid colors in my skittle tank. I know I will still get the occasional wild coming out, but I also was thinking of refreshing the gene pool like once a year by adding new shrimp to the skittle tank.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I like them too! My plan was to cull them by moving them into their own wild type tank, and keep the more solid colors in my skittle tank. I know I will still get the occasional wild coming out, but I also was thinking of refreshing the gene pool like once a year by adding new shrimp to the skittle tank.
Well that's an option too. :)

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I've never deliberately done a "Skittles" tank, but do have a few shrimp tanks and thus a couple of cull tanks. I probably spend as much time looking at the culls as the ones with pure lines. Problem that would arise with trying to cull such a tank is; it would be near impossible to stay on top of over time. Especially if you have any blues or blacks since most lines of those throw a lot of brown/clear shrimp anyway. After a half dozen generations, the majority of your tank would be expected to be somewhere between wild to less than ideal color saturated shrimp, but there will be some pretty ones here and here. And the odd one that's clear with red legs or so forth could keep it interesting. It won't stay a "Skittles" tank for very long, but you can definitely have a fun project with them if that appeals to you.

Reactions: Yolo

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used to have a skittles tank and I didn't really bother culling. I have two species only caridina tanks but I haven't gotten around to culling them too since the colony boomed and I got exhausted from the idea of separating the culls. I probably should do that at some point lol.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just let em do their thing. I do have a 10 gallon for my blues and one for some green strain I'm trying to clean up but most of what goes in my skittles tank (75 gallon) stays in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.