The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on dedicating a 40gal tank to breeding cherry shrimp and apple snails.The only problem is I have a 4" gold nugget pl*co and 5" mango pl*co and a pair of albino bristlenose pl*cos in there that I wont part with and cant put in any of my other tanks.Theres also 6 sterbi corys that I would also like to keep but I dont mind selling them if I have to.I'm just wondering if they pose any problems with shrimp, I know they will no doubt munch the odd shrimplet but im planning to have a lot of cover for them.In the past I had adult amanos in there and none were ever eaten(in fact they would all share slices of cucumber).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I wouldn't put none of those....

Mango pleco gets up to 11" and I believe it eats both veggie and meats
Gold nugget gets up to 8" and is an omnivore....eats both veggies and meaty stuff
Bristlenose-"Certainly they have the immensely long guts common to vegetarians, and although they fall avidly on the occasional meal of live food or prawns" quoted from planetcatfish.com

When I had cories they loved shrimp pellets

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mango only eats veggies and wont even touch blooworms.The nugget eats pretty much anything but I dont think he would actively hunt anything.Its not the babies im worried about though its the adult shrimp.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Some plecos hunt at night.....plus they get too big anyways.

If what I am writing is not what you want to see by all means keep them in together.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I don't know much about the bigger plecos, but if you have lots of cover, I think you will be just fine.

What concernes me more is how you plan on having lots of cover and breed apple snails??? I have two apple snails and use them in my 'mulch' tank. They can devour a whole 10g packed with plants in just a few days.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'm not a huge pleco nut. but ime with my plecs they always seem to be semi aggressive. and will activly hunt out food. I don't see why they wouldn't take a chance to suck up a shrimp if it looked tastey. one of mine used to eat cichlid pellets and would chase feeders.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some plecos hunt at night.....plus they get too big anyways.

If what I am writing is not what you want to see by all means keep them in together.
The size of the fish is not in question here I know exactly how big they are expected to grow but at the moment they are not too big for the tank.

I want to know if you think they will actively hunt the shrimp and if so would having lots of cover will help, as I said in the past I have kept amanos with them and they were not bothered by the pl*cos

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know much about the bigger plecos, but if you have lots of cover, I think you will be just fine.

What concernes me more is how you plan on having lots of cover and breed apple snails??? I have two apple snails and use them in my 'mulch' tank. They can devour a whole 10g packed with plants in just a few days.
They will be the non plant eating kind.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my experience, they only start out as non plant eating. As mine has gotten bigger, it's munching more and more on my sunset hygro.
The only plants I have ever had brigs eat was riccia.They will eat dying plants though but the ones I will have are things like java moss/fern, anubias and other tough plants.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The size of the fish is not in question here I know exactly how big they are expected to grow but at the moment they are not too big for the tank.

I want to know if you think they will actively hunt the shrimp and if so would having lots of cover will help, as I said in the past I have kept amanos with them and they were not bothered by the pl*cos
You should be fine for now, If they didn't take amanos they shouldn't take cherries... Just keep an eye on them at first. And I wouldn't be surprised if the babies accidentally get eaten here and there.. But when I had my common Plec. He was 5" and would get scared of the babies...

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When the tanks ready I will probably test the water with my 2 amanos(might get a few more)and see how that goes.I just thought, they might be more inclined to eat baby apple snails so I might have to setup a net breeder as a hatchery.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Amano's are like 6x bigger then RCS....

I guess what you want to hear is that they will all co-exist perfectly and meat eating hunting plecos won't eat you little RCs. :biggrin:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Amano's are like 6x bigger then RCS....

I guess what you want to hear is that they will all co-exist perfectly and meat eating hunting plecos won't eat you little RCs. :biggrin:
Look dont patronise me, im not an idiot that just wants to hear only good things.Whats the point in that, I dont want to risk losing my expensive shrimp.As yet no ones actually said "I have had these fish eat my shrimp" or "I have had these fish with shrimp and they were fine".If I dont get any actual personal experience then I will try with some small inexpensive amanos and if it doesnt work out I will make alternative arrangements.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
No two fish are alike, I have had ABN that are suppose to not like meaty foods like other plecos but these guys loved bloodworms and brineshrimp...now the next guy will say that BN's won't touch them.....so how would personal exp work there? I think it would be safer to go with what scientific info you can find on them but if you want to try there is no harm there but you asked for info.

Another thing to keep in mind is that amanos are way larger then RCS and I would say more active/aggressive too, that's personal observation since I have both.

Not patronising you or calling you an idiot....geeze...touchy eh....its only the internet.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No two fish are alike, I have had ABN that are suppose to not like meaty foods like other plecos but these guys loved bloodworms and brineshrimp...now the next guy will say that BN's won't touch them.....so how would personal exp work there? I think it would be safer to go with what scientific info you can find on them but if you want to try there is no harm there but you asked for info.

Another thing to keep in mind is that amanos are way larger then RCS and I would say more active/aggressive too, that's personal observation since I have both.

Not patronising you or calling you an idiot....geeze...touchy eh....its only the internet.
Pretty much all pl*cos will eat meaty foods if they come across it.Bristlenoses are known for it and will actually choose it over veggies although this is not good for their gut if fed it too often.Most pl*cos however will not actively hunt to get this type of food thats what im getting,I dont see my 2 doing this(particularly the mango)but I could be wrong.Many pl*cos do actively hunt (Leporacanthicus for example, these would make short work of any snails and shrimp).Basically what im saying is with plenty of cover I would think the shrimp would keep away from the pl*cos but without personal experience from other members I wont know if I should take the chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts