The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a couple of plants last night (at Petco, I know, but they were deep discount, so I "had to").
1. Echinodorus Argentinensis (Argentine Sword)
2. Hygrophilia Corymbosa Stricta
I have a sand substrate, and I don't typically fertilize the water column. I have root tabs, but just use them under my crypts since java fern and sag don't really seem to need them. Basic question is, do I need to put a few root tabs in the sand around either or both of these new plants? I think I've seen that the sword probably needs a fertile base, so that would probably indicate yes, right?

Thanks for helping the noob.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, they won't be getting co2; I'm not ready to take that plunge. Carbon in the form of excel perhaps, but that's it. The tank is a 29, so about 15-16" from light to substrate where the swords are. I actually bought them because the tank needs something with height. I'll give the swords some tabs.

Is the hygrophilia a heavy root feeder too? (Hmm, maybe that's what you meant by big stem plant...)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.