The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a couple of plants last night (at Petco, I know, but they were deep discount, so I "had to").
1. Echinodorus Argentinensis (Argentine Sword)
2. Hygrophilia Corymbosa Stricta
I have a sand substrate, and I don't typically fertilize the water column. I have root tabs, but just use them under my crypts since java fern and sag don't really seem to need them. Basic question is, do I need to put a few root tabs in the sand around either or both of these new plants? I think I've seen that the sword probably needs a fertile base, so that would probably indicate yes, right?

Thanks for helping the noob.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I would think root tabs would be a good substrate amendment for any plant that doesn't feed from the water column. How big is your tank?

HygrophilaTemple plant is also a pretty big growing stem plant.

You realize that the Argentine Swordplant gets pretty large. Big Echinodorus are generally heavy root feeders and like a nutrient rich substrate and some CO2 help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, they won't be getting co2; I'm not ready to take that plunge. Carbon in the form of excel perhaps, but that's it. The tank is a 29, so about 15-16" from light to substrate where the swords are. I actually bought them because the tank needs something with height. I'll give the swords some tabs.

Is the hygrophilia a heavy root feeder too? (Hmm, maybe that's what you meant by big stem plant...)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I got some little Hygro Corymbosa 'compact' from petsmart for like 3 bucks.they were little 2 inch red leaved plants,and I put them in my cycling spec V.one is near an osmo cap I put in for an amazon sword,and the other are away.All I put in the tank is .25 to .50 ml 10% ammonia to keep the filter alive.they now have leaves 3-4 inches long and they are trying to grow out of the tank.

they are the big ones in the picture.so,I don't think any hygros need tabs.The one nearest the filter in by an o-cote cap,the three on the other end don't have any.in the back is the top from the single one I had to cut when it grew out of the tank.No fish in there,few water changes,LED that came with the spec V.NO co2,no ferts.

excuse the background coming off.

plant near the back,they are big.these are maybe 2 months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What I meant was the Hygrophila Temple plant grows large, and is vigorous and will probably out compete any other plants in your tank. They would benefit from root tabs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts