The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Coming at you with a question about how many cherry shrimp to keep. I see online about people posting the amount of shrimp you can keep per gallon, and no one ever mentions if they prefer to be with their own species and with how many of their own. I currently have two cherry shrimp in my 5 gallon planted tank, and I have noticed that when I approach the tank too quickly, the one that sees me will dart really quickly away. Of course, this doesn't happen when I come up slowly. Do they feel uncomfortable being in such small numbers? If I got more of their kind to be in the tank, would they be more comfortable? I just feel like they might think they are in a tank that is too big for only the two of them, and I'm not sure how many is a good amount to have. Both are females btw, I don't really want breeding to happen because they could quickly overpopulate the tank, and I want to know them on a name basis, as silly as that sounds. Any insight appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi! I have a planted 5.5 gallon too. I have a few snails and 4 red cherry shrimp so far.

I have read that you can have 5 - 10 shrimp per gallon because they have a very low bio load. That's a ton! I don't think they school, but mine like to sit next to each other

My plan is to get a little crew of 10-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, what are their names?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Sorry for delay in getting back. I am quite curious about getting more shrimp as well, but it worries me that then they may feel crowded in my 5 gallon...not sure. Your tank sounds lovely! I have about 3 shrimp now(all girls as I've found out). Their names are Poppy, Sunshine, and Edgar(yes, I thought this was a boy at first, but indeed it's a girl).

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have about 100 or so in a 10G. If the tank is well established and you want to you can add more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.