The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't bought a filter yet because I do not plan on getting fish in the next few months, but I already got some frogbit and am about to order a few echinodorus. Then in a thread someone mentioned that it helps immensely with nutrient distribution and aeration. So I was curious, do plants require flow?

I may have to make a run to the LFS to get a power head or order my filter...

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Water flow in the aquarium is good for the plants because it brings in more nutrients, CO2, oxygen to the plants. With stagnant water each leaf is surrounded by water somewhat depleted in nutrients, etc. And, in stagnant water debris can collect on the leaf surfaces. There are probably other reasons, but those pop into my head.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Get your filter, so that it can begin the nitrogen cycle.

·
Registered
426 Posts
In short: yes.

In between: Various threads I've read on this site have led me to feel comfortable saying that increased co2, fertilization, and flow are more beneficial than increased lighting.

In long: google's your friend.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I haven't bought a filter yet because I do not plan on getting fish in the next few months, but I already got some frogbit and am about to order a few echinodorus. Then in a thread someone mentioned that it helps immensely with nutrient distribution and aeration. So I was curious, do plants require flow?

I may have to make a run to the LFS to get a power head or order my filter...
If you got the money for a filter now why wait.

Quite a few people have planted bowls and such which do not have any filtration or water flow and the plants do fine. But as others have said they have better access to nutrients with water flow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts