The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my water conditions the other day using Red Sea testers and noticed that my KH is at 0-1 (since only one drop of the solution resulted in the "finished" color). pH is about 6.3 and GH is about 6.

Will such a low KH prevent plant growth? I use DIY Co2, but am not sure whether the plants can use it well due to the low KH?

Any knowledge on this? What can I do to safely up KH to about 3 or 4?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
There are a few plants, vals are one, that use carbonates as a source for carbon. Those might do better with a higher KH. I don't think there are any others that would be affected by having a near zero KH. And, KH has no effect that I know of on a plants ability to use CO2. I think most people find that a really low KH is good for plant growth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where in CT are you? I'm in New Haven and have really low kH also. I've been successful with every plant that I've tried thus far.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in Stamford and as mentioned by Hoppy above, vals are the one plant in my tank which don't grow very well. The original vals I put in there have been deteriorating and falling apart over the past 1.5 months, although the crapload of runners seem to be growing well. Besides that I have a bunch of swords which are doing well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts