The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night I posted this
yesterday I noticed some hair algae growing under the filter output in my sons tank. Today I discovered that it had a growth explosion. I know it sounds weird, but I kinda like the way this hair algae looks under the filter output.
https://youtu.be/p5x9S5wM3DQ
Now obviously I don't want a whole tank full of hair algae, so I'm thinking of putting a plant that would wave in the flow in a similar manner where the algae was, after I clean it. Maybe Subwassertang or a moss? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
After looking into the best way to kill Hair algae I stumbled across info that leads me to believe that this is actually filamentous diatoms. From what I understand They are fairly common in newer tanks. The tanks been running for 3 weeks now. :icon_ques Do otos eat filamentous diatoms? I was already planning on quarantining some otos, I plan on buying this weekend, in this tank. If they eat it, then I'll leave it, if they don't then I'll clean it up before putting them in there. (I'm going to change the title of the thread, to reflect this question) All water parameters are normal, pH 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0.
Also I still would like suggestions for a plant to be flowing under the HOB.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've found that otos eat a little bit of every thing, but not a lot of anything. Green algae is their favorite, but still, they don't eat much of it, preferring to graze on it in between seeking out other bits left over from flake foods, etc. I've always had to add zuchini and other vegetables to my tanks, as well as algae wafers to keep them fat and happy. I've never seen them eat 'brown' type algae. Hair algae is eaten by many fish, as well as other types of green algae. My gouramis and angelfish love to graze on hair and green algae. But they only eat a very small amount. So cleaning it out of the tank before it covers everything and kills plants would be my advise.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
What size tank?

I've found Reticulated flying foxes (Crossocheilus reticulatus) will eat green hair algae.
They are related to Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis). Not sure if SAE eat hair algae, but if you don't have reticulateds available, they may be worth a try.

Please only get them if your tank is large enough though (I'd say at minimum a 40 gallon breeder). Normally for solving algae issues, you correct the root cause. Fish that eat algae are pretty much just a bandaid and doesn't solve the reason the algae is occurring. If the tank is large enough and the fish can be happily housed in there, it can be a mutually beneficial relationship (fish has suitable home and algae, while you have a happy fish that takes care of the algae issues).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I did remove most of the filamentous diatoms, but there's still some in there if the otos want it. I'm hoping to get them tomorrow, and of course I'll be feeding them more stuff then what they have in the 10 gallon thank, until they are ready to go into their permanent home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.