The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Is the Snowball shrimp line stable enough that there are never or very rarely any throw backs to the wild form? I don't mind shades of white or opacity. I just don't want to need a cull tank for wild-looking shrimplets.

Anyone with any experience in keeping a snowball colony going--can you let me know?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
The answer depends on the quality of the shrimp and how long you breed them. If keeping shrimp for aesthetics then your tank will always benefit from culling. I've honestly not had any shrimp (yellow, red, or blue) revert back to a pure 'wild' form after keeping them for a couple of years. I don't mix color morphs though which I know will accelerate that process.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Stabilized lines will breed true most of the time. Occasionally you will recieve a clearer one, but that is to be expected. As long as you source your Snowballs from a reputable source you won't have to cull many shrimp at all.

The wild type phenotype tends to show itself with 'Skittles' strains, which are Neo strains with multiple color genes. They are interesting in their own right, but not desireable if you are culling for a consistent color. I have a colony of Blue Skittles and they throw a lot of different things.

From this colony of blues I've had: red, yellow, orange, blue, brown, and black. Rili patterns on blue, red and carbon, spots on red and blues, and stripes on reds and blues.

It's a surprise every time a batch is born.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.