The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a lunar moonlight led kit from ebay which has 9 blue led's on it.

I am going to install them on my reflector on my tank but after testing them i noticed that my glo fish light up like lightbulbs with them on. Apparently the blue led's give off the same color spectrum as a blacklight. I also have white gravel at the bottom of my tank and it glows bright also.

Will these led's cause issues with the fish's rest cycle or can they not see this light?

It makes my tank look great at night.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i dont think thats the case here..!! i used to turn my coralife moonlight on at night . none of the fish got stress from what i know of. its look real cool when you turn on at night and the whole room light is off.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Someone told me that he had less fish jumping out of his 75g when he added moon lights. He said that it may be caused by the fish being able to see where they are going when they get spooked at night.

I think that it is red light that fish can't see very well. I guess that's because red light can't penetrate the depths like blue like can.

Your 9 LED model sounds like it is somewhat bright.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what would be considered bright.

once i get them setup I'm sure it'll look something like this. Is that too bright for lunar lights?

I was thinking of trying to mount them facing up into my reflector on my hood to give the glow but not the beams of light.

Do you think that would help?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
for some guys they dont like how "focused" the led is where you can see the light beam. so they sand down the top of the led to diffuse the light and make it spread out a little bit.

i doubt it hurts the fish, your basically creating a moonlight. its cool to actually watch your fish at night they do some weird stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts