The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This might sound stupid but I have 10 half banded kuhli loach. Out of all of them, I have one favorite. The reason is the unique separation in the middle of the black patches. Could this be a double half banded kuhli loach? Maybe a quad banded kuhli loach :icon_wink I was wondering if kuhli loaches have grades lol. First 2 pictures are the regular one and last 2 are the unique one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
BEautiful kuhli!

No clue about grades or if there is even a show market for these fish, but I have about 10 and they are all totally different. I have one, the only one ever born in my tank, who is almost completely black on his top half and then gold on the bottom, without any separations or splotches!

·
Registered
423 Posts
wow what a beautiful fish. I hope they stay out a lot so you get to see them.

I only have black kuhli loaches, was lucky to even find those where I am. But one of them is pink. I really don't think its stressed at all. Acts fine, is just pink while the other two are dark grey, maybe its a sex thing??

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BEautiful kuhli!

No clue about grades or if there is even a show market for these fish, but I have about 10 and they are all totally different. I have one, the only one ever born in my tank, who is almost completely black on his top half and then gold on the bottom, without any separations or splotches!
thank you. You have about 10 different kuhli loaches or 10 half banded kuhli loaches? Kuhli loaches have different species too.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you rustbucket :red_mouth Hope you can get some different colored kuhli loaches one day. I had to order mines off ebay like some where close to $100. Actually the pink one could be a golden dojo kuhli loach. Just so you don't get confused. Kuhli loach don't just have one type. They have many just like discuss being apart of the cichlid family but looks different. Discuss have different color variation and sizes, so you can absolutely compare them to kuhli loaches. Just because there are so many loaches, don't mean that there is only one type of kuhli loach.

·
Registered
56 Posts
thank you. You have about 10 different kuhli loaches or 10 half banded kuhli loaches? Kuhli loaches have different species too.

10- half banded, but they all have different markings ... though mostly "similar" patterns, except for the one little one born in the tank who is freaky mutant.

I guess, if one wants to grade something, one needs a reliable breeding programme with culling and line breedings, etc .... Most people round here who keep kuhlis have maybe one baby every 2-3 years, if they're lucky. Many don't get a single baby ... compare that to shrimp lol

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
They don't have grades but there tends to be slight variation within each species. Some species of Kuhli loaches look vastly different from one another. For example Pangio semicincta, Pangio myersi, and Pangio kuhlii are all sold as "Kuhli loach" in most stores but they all look completely different from one another.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10- half banded, but they all have different markings ... though mostly "similar" patterns, except for the one little one born in the tank who is freaky mutant.

I guess, if one wants to grade something, one needs a reliable breeding programme with culling and line breedings, etc .... Most people round here who keep kuhlis have maybe one baby every 2-3 years, if they're lucky. Many don't get a single baby ... compare that to shrimp lol

:wink: maybe that'll be my project in the near future. Breeding kuhli loaches. It's not about how fast they breed but how unique some are. Do you have any half banded with patterns similar to the one with the line in the middle? if so can I buy it from you? Excuse me moderator but if you feel the need to move this thread. Feel free.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
They don't have grades but there tends to be slight variation within each species. Some species of Kuhli loaches look vastly different from one another. For example Pangio semicincta, Pangio myersi, and Pangio kuhlii are all sold as "Kuhli loach" in most stores but they all look completely different from one another.

Ever heard of pangio alternans or seen any kuhlis like this? I don't own any rights to this photo. I was looking for these to the end of the world but couldn't and settled in with half banded kuhlis after a year of searching.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Nope. The ones in the pic look stressed. Though I have seen spotted and striped kuhlis before. In fact one of my own has spots and stripes. I'll see if I can take a pic if I can spot him.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Good luck getting them to breed though. Most of the anecdotal evidence claims that breeding was done accidentally and that the owners did nothing different to get them to breed and spawn.

·
Registered
56 Posts
:wink: maybe that'll be my project in the near future. Breeding kuhli loaches. It's not about how fast they breed but how unique some are. Do you have any half banded with patterns similar to the one with the line in the middle? if so can I buy it from you? Excuse me moderator but if you feel the need to move this thread. Feel free.
Haha haven't got any quite like your "broken back line" specimen ... I'm also on the other side of the Atlantic :p

... I guess because they are wild caught you have no idea what pattern genes are carried. Like I said the only one ever born in my tank looks totally different from all the others. I couldn't begin to guess who the parents were. It developed underneath an artificial tank that I use to hide a filter intake in a corner of the tank. Tons of real plants but this fake one has a big wide base and the little kuhli lived under there - I moved it for cleaning and and he shot out, teeny tiny thing! Now he's quite big :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.