·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup 110 Gallon
Substrate eco-complete

Filter
Sump

Tank will be heavily planted, not sure on plant types yet, tank is tall. It around 48x20x24 I think.

Lights
WavePoint 48" T5 HO 4-Lamp Aquarium Retrofit Kit
2 D-D Giesemann Powerchrome 48 Inch 54W Midday T5HO Fluorescent Bulb

2 D-D Giesemann Powerchrome 48 Inch 54W Aquaflora T5HO Fluorescent Bulb

So the question is before I waste 300 or 400 dollars on complete co2 setup do I really need it for what I have? My thoughts are yes, but I wanted to get some feedback.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
With the lighting system you have in place, prob so. Now you could sell the lighting, get Normal Output, buy plants that are medium to low. There you go (LOW TECH), the problem you're going to run into is Co2 waste from the sump.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
That's a lot of light regardless. My 90g is 24' tall and with 4 54w T5 I can't control the BBA.
Why dont you raise the lights 6 - 8", that might help some. Also lookin in to Direct Dosing of H2o2 and get a pair of Thai Flying Foxes (they'll munch if off after the dosing)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
CO2 Question

Good morning Jim...

Wow! CO2 is a chunk of change. It may be worth the time to research the specific requirements of the plants you have or want in your tank.

I have low tech, low light tanks. But, all are extremely well planted and with $13.00 a year for good hydroponics ferts dosed regularly, my plants are very healthy compared to $300.00.

Hard to imagine my plants could do 23 times better if I dosed CO2.

B

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback, the reason I got that light is that my canopy is not very high. I only have room for a 3.5 to 4 inch light, that was the only light I could find that fits

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If you don't use CO2, you will only be able to grow certain plants that are quick-growing and undemanding. Most of the plants in the hobby that are more good-looking require CO2 and high light, or else algae will take over them really quick. Whatever the plant though, they will all be better off with CO2. You may be able to get by without it, but only depending on the plants you will have.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
go with a 20 lb its only a few inch taller im thankful i went with the 20 over the 10lb, that 10lb on a 110 with a sump prob will last 2-3 months but that is a guess as you set your bubble rate.
Do you have your setup going to a sump? Would I be better off going direct to the tank with a reactor? rather than a diffuser to the sump? Both sump and tank have glass hood.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
you just have to set up your sump right so u offgas less co2 or run a higher bps rate to compensate for offgassing from the sump, i still stand by my statement if u can get a 20lb er is is not much bigger in size i think its 4inch talle an 2 wider? or very close to and refills will last 2x as long an cost 5bucks more so its worth it. research sumps an co2 an see how others have set up theres and go from there i havent used a sump for some time now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.