The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a planted Spec V using Caribsea Peace River gravel for substrate. I'm noticing a lot of debris whenever I stir things up. I don't have a ton of plants or any carpeting to speak of so I'm wondering what to do here? I have a python I use for my larger tank but it's a little overkill for a 5 gallon especially with everything in the way. Here is a pic of the tank. Thanks!

Plant Organism Pet supply Grass Terrestrial plant

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
How do you do your water changes? With my nano tanks I use a length of 10mm hose as a syphon. You can suck debris up from the surface of the gravel at the same time, just be careful you don't get too close to the substrate or the gravel will get sucked up too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now I just do them bucket brigade style. Maybe I'll give the 10mm hose a try. Do you just use clear vynil tubing? Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use the small sized Aqueon gravel siphon. I skim about an inch from my substrate. Normally I don't suck up the substrate when doing so.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you have enough water flow in your tank, it won't let debris settle at the bottom and eventually it will all get removed to filter.

But since you are a better, strong flow is not an option.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Right now I just do them bucket brigade style. Maybe I'll give the 10mm hose a try. Do you just use clear vynil tubing? Thanks.

Yep, just your standard 10mm clear vinyl. The piece I use was originally attached to a small gravel vacuum but I ended up just yanking it off and using the tubing on its own.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Just buy a siphon already, it will have a little funnel on the inlet, which reduces the suction power at the tip to prevent sucking up fish and gravel even when stirring with it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just buy a siphon already, it will have a little funnel on the inlet, which reduces the suction power at the tip to prevent sucking up fish and gravel even when stirring with it.
Well worth your investment and they are cheap. The idea is to clear any extra poop, food and debri that has gathered. You can do this much more efficiently with a siphon and you'll save time.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You get what you pay for. I'd get one with a hand pump, this gives more control over how much water you remove. Just using gravity pulls a lot of water fast.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You get what you pay for. I'd get one with a hand pump, this gives more control over how much water you remove. Just using gravity pulls a lot of water fast.
Hand pumps take work. I don't like to do work. Gravity pulls the water and I just have to pull my siphon out of the tank. Works great.

Make sure you get one with the little starter so you don't have to put your mouth to the siphon every time:

I have aqueon ones because they are cheap but a lot of people prefer Python water changers. Find one with a thick hose. The ones with cheap hoses suck to deal with and they bend easily.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Aqeons 5" MINI siphon works great for small tanks like that-I use it on most of my tanks (many betta tanks) 12g long down to 2g. I use larger siphons on the 20g long and 55g.
If you want to save $ and are into DIY you can look up some quick DIY siphons. I can't link as its another forum but have seen them made with (cleaned out) detergent containers, 2 holes poked into the lid. Airline tubing put through both holes one short (where you suck to start siphon (never get water in your mouth this way)) and one long (to use in tank). Silicone or glue is applied around the holes/airline tubing to ensure a good seal.. Some people then attach a cut plastic hanger to the end of the air line tubing (using zip tie for example) used in the tank to give something rigid to hold/aim/stir up substrate with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Aqeons 5" MINI siphon works great for small tanks like that-I use it on most of my tanks (many betta tanks) 12g long down to 2g. I use larger siphons on the 20g long and 55g.
If you want to save $ and are into DIY you can look up some quick DIY siphons. I can't link as its another forum but have seen them made with (cleaned out) detergent containers, 2 holes poked into the lid. Airline tubing put through both holes one short (where you suck to start siphon (never get water in your mouth this way)) and one long (to use in tank). Silicone or glue is applied around the holes/airline tubing to ensure a good seal.. Some people then attach a cut plastic hanger to the end of the air line tubing (using zip tie for example) used in the tank to give something rigid to hold/aim/stir up substrate with.
Aqueon 5" mini is it! Thanks for the help as I was looking at all the different sizes! $6.52 can't beat that for CHEAP! :wink2:

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Medium-Siphon-Aquarium-Cleaner/dp/B004RK1WBK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Bump: Might go with the Fluval too...decisions decisions... :)

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Gravel-Cleaner-15-inch-Intake/dp/B002LL8BWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457547740&sr=8-1&keywords=fluval+vacuum

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I normally pull the large tube off, it is more in the way than any use. I just use the blue part it is stuck to.

The pump in your picture is what I am referring to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.