The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a spiro problem in my 54 corner and am wondering if I need to fertilize kno3 to balance things. Here are the stats:

130w 10hrs daily
6dkh
5 ml excel/day
1 cap flourish weekly
eco complete substrate
tank running for about 12 weeks
well stocked w/ fish

The plants seem to be doing pretty well in general, but things obviously aren't perfect. In addition there's some yellowing of dwarf sag., jungle val taking its time getting established and a few holes in my crypts.

I was looking at the nitrogen at pfertz, which I assume is kno3. I assume I'm getting enough phosphate from fish and food. Would the kno3 give me some K and N that I might be lacking.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i would cut down light wattage a little and reduce photoperiod to 7-8 hours,a split preriod with 4 hrs on-4 hrs off-and 4 hrs on works nicely. that way the algae doesnt get time to "warm up" before the lights go off and your plants still get enough light time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
daijoubu--no I can't, but I don't have a testing kit :redface:. I'll go out to see if the local chain stores stock any. What's the target ppm for low tech? (A novel idea, getting facts before dumping chemicals in my tank.)

kwheeler--that's interesting. It would actually work for more viewing time during the week with my work schedule. I haven't heard of that before. Any more info./links to algae proliferation and light phases?

Thank you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a master test kit, but it lacks a nitrate test, so I just got one (API). Strangely, it gave a reading of almost 0 in my main tank. I tried my QT with 10 cardinals and no plants. I've been doing 10% wc daily for the two weeks they've been in there and the reading was b/w 5-10 ppm. This seems reasonable to me. Am I wrong? I have hygro. diff. in my main tank and have heard they soak up nitrate. I don't know....what do you all think?

In any case, I was planning on picking up some kno3 and dosing that to between 10 and 20 ppm nitrate. Would that give me a good amount of both nitrate and K? I was also planning on picking up some k2so4 in case the no3 starts to climb as more cardinals are intoduced and the tank ages. That way I can dose specifically for K without elevating nitrates.

Does this sound like a decent plan?

Once again, thank you all for your feedback.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Ya im sure its all being soaked up. Also your Vals will probably die using Excel. If thats why you think you need no3. Excel killed all my Jungle Vals! I dont think kno3 is your problem. Because i have a few tanks i don't dose kno3 at all and Plants are not affected, except some color changes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've tried to slowly get the vals used to excel by going up from 1ml/every other day to 5ml/daily very gradually. They seem to be adjusting now and are growing, albeit very slowly. It doesn't help that they get very little light in the back of a corner tank with a big piece of driftwood in front but I think they're used to the excel. I dosed for algae with h2o2 to avoid an excel overdose that I know would melt them.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When i used excel for algae my vals melted with a single dose. Then didn't die, but didn't grow for about 10 months before they finally died. That's cool yours are growing! Your issue maybe more likely a lack of carbon, then ferts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a master test kit, but it lacks a nitrate test, so I just got one (API). Strangely, it gave a reading of almost 0 in my main tank. I tried my QT with 10 cardinals and no plants. I've been doing 10% wc daily for the two weeks they've been in there and the reading was b/w 5-10 ppm. This seems reasonable to me. Am I wrong? I have hygro. diff. in my main tank and have heard they soak up nitrate. I don't know....what do you all think?

In any case, I was planning on picking up some kno3 and dosing that to between 10 and 20 ppm nitrate. Would that give me a good amount of both nitrate and K? I was also planning on picking up some k2so4 in case the no3 starts to climb as more cardinals are intoduced and the tank ages. That way I can dose specifically for K without elevating nitrates.

Does this sound like a decent plan?

Once again, thank you all for your feedback.

Good plan. In my low tech I have to dose K. If you don't trust your test kit results you can calibrate it. I like to test P also. Don't think it can't get too low. When you use Excel your plants will grow faster and use more nutrients.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.