The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bichirs don’t mind their water type from my experiment as long as it’s consistent. I kept them in tanks with wood and South American cichlids and the pH was a little lower since tap water here is right around 7. They’re from Africa where the water is typically around 8-9.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
You may need to be more specific on what water you have as that changes the question of how much wood or rock may change your water and then you will definitely need to look closer at what fish will do best in any water you use. Maany do adapt well to other than what their "natural" water might have been as there are lots of fish who have not been in their native water for many, many, generations!
African cichlids, for instance may be related to African water but raised in ponds in Florida for 25 generations and no longer actually need what studies show true African cichlids should have.
So the big question might be what do you plan to achieve with the boiling?
If you have lots of buffering in the water you use, the wood is not likely to overcome the buffering and change the water much at all. I find it much easier to go with what my water has and not go into the constant fight with nature as it has lots more time and almost always wins!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.