The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background..
I decided to try RCS in my tank a few months ago.
Ok so a few months ago I tried RCS for the first time in my 20g long densely planted tank. Not sure if shipping was hard (they went thru a freak "winter storm" in Texas).. or the water difference from the breeder to here was too vast.. or I didn't acclimate good enough..
But I got 20 something I think and over a few weeks-month lost all but one (that I saw.. I saw bodies.. and witnessed a number of deaths.. so I know most of them died).

Tried again.. closer supplier..
I have also since gotten my temp lower (was having a hard time getting it low as I live in a tropic region and finally just turned my heater OFF)..
That batch I lost none over a month. ( may have lost one in the very first day or 2 I can't remember but that's it)
I then got a second batch from the same place.. and they have also been doing well.

I have a female that came berried, and many with saddles so far.. so don't know that they are doing good enough to breed yet.

They get Repashy Shrimpy souffle.. soilent green, and sinking pellets that have shrimp in them for my pygmy cories (because the shrimp attack these pellets when I DO feed them)
and veggies (for my otos and nerites)..

I don't have a TDS meter yet.
I get stuff on Amazon..
and need recommendations on a GOOD but very EASY to use one..

My KH was 4 / GH was 9, ph out of the tap is between 7.6- almost 8..
7.4 after it's in my tank with co2/a big piece of driftwood and some peat in the filter. And prime. I have been cutting WC tap water with purified when I lost most of my first batch of RCS (mostly started this while waiting on my KH/GH test kit and copper kit as in the beginning I was worried it was something in the water)

SO now that I've had shrimp for almost 2 months that appear to be doing very well (one batch was ffrom over a month ago the last batch was from a week ago).

Should I add anything to my water or not until after I get a TDS meter and see where that's at?

·
Registered
207 Posts
No expert, but I have read consistency in the water conditions is best. I run my RCS tank with tap water and have not lost one. My TDS out of the tap is 300. I just have a cheap ebay meter. Mine breed like rabbits.
Sounds like things are going good now. Why change.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks.

that's what I am thinking now. The first batch I lost most of.. not sure if from shipping or acclimation.. what have you..
but since the second two batches are doing really good.. was thinking I should just wait and see if they breed and not change things.. as that seems to be risky for shrimp.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I agree. If things are going well with them, don't make changes. I have kept my little colony of rcs going for 5 years with just my well water, ph 7.8, KH 11, GH 13. No heater, just room temperature. They breed like crazy in the little 10 gallon planted tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.