The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum!

I setup my fish tank a year ago, without any pre-reading. As a result, I bought gravel, which is the wrong substrate for a planted tank. I tried rooting plants into it, but they kept floating up. Eventually I gave up and bought java ferns and java moss that were tied to driftwood and coconut shells.

Do I need to provide liquid fertilizer for the plants? The java ferns are not growing significantly, but I do see new shoots appearing. Some leaves turn black (or have many tiny black spots) and I cut these away. The java moss seem to be doing great on their own, with just lighting. I don’t have any CO2 system, but do have quite a number of fish in my 10G tank.

I had serious algae problems in the beginning. Water was turning green, even with weekly 30% water changes. Also had brown algae growing on the tank walls which had to be scraped off on a weekly basis. Introduced 2 plecos, which took care of the brown algae problem completely, but my water is still slightly greenish.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How many hours pr day are your lights running? what type of lighting do you have? How much and how often do you feed the fish? When you do water changes, what type of water do you use? Any chemicals currently being used in the aquarium? What type of fish do you have? With a little more info, myself or someone else might be able to help you with your micro algae problem and be able to give you a strong recommendation about using or not using liquid ferts. And by the way, welcome to the forum!:proud:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Here's the answers

1. Lights are running approximately 12 hours per day
2. 11W fluorescent tube
3. Feed the fish sparingly twice a day
4. Use tap water for water changes. Dechlorinated with something I bought from the LFS (can't remember name)
5. No other chemicals used in the aquarium
6. I have 9 cardinal tetras, 3 guppies, 1 clown loach, 2 plecos.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
That's a really heavy bioload for a 10gal tank. I don't know of any plecos that are appropriate for 10gal tanks, they all get too large and are "poop factories."

I think between your heavy bioload and running the light 12 hours you're feeding the algae. I think you need to reduce both of these.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plecos are starlight bristlenoses, bought them as juveniles. The LFS assured me that they would take many many years before getting too large for my tank. They are doing wonders on the brown algae on my tank walls. I also feed them an sinking pellet once every few days.

I've tried running the light for 6 hours, but it did not seem to have any effect on the algae.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
It shouldn't take that long for a BN pleco to reach full growth. If they stay small it's b/c their growth is being unhealthily stunted. Otos, Amano shrimp, or FW-acclimated Nerite snails would be a much better choice for algae control in a 10gal tank.

It took about a month for green water to clear up in my 90gal. I'd do a 3 day blackout and then back your photoperiod down to 6 hours and leave it there. No reason to increase light when you're already having algae issues.

And you should probably check your water paramters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts