The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. i have a 125 gallon filled with crypts and various swords. last month i put 156 watts of t5ho light on . my question is do i need co2? eqipment is 2 aquaclear 110s hob filters and an aquaclear 30 powerhead for a bit of flow. everything seems stable but i just want the best environment for my fish and plants.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
CO2 is a basic "need" of all plants. Either you provide extra CO2, or the plants can only grow as fast as the supply of CO2, from the atmosphere and from breakdown of organics in the substrate, allows them to grow. With the amount of light you have, assuming those bulbs are located right at the top of the tank, the plants are being greatly restricted in growth by the shortage of CO2. That makes them extremely vulnerable to algae attacks.

It is the amount of light you have that drives everything in the aquarium.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
ok if i get co2 would a paintball canister setup work for a tank this size?
Yes, it would work, but you would want to buy enough canisters so you could visit the refill station once a month with a dozen or so canisters to fill. Maybe I have the numbers wrong, but, seriously, a little paintball canister wouldn't last more than a few days supplying adequate CO2 to that big a tank. And, that is a very expensive way to buy CO2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it would work, but you would want to buy enough canisters so you could visit the refill station once a month with a dozen or so canisters to fill. Maybe I have the numbers wrong, but, seriously, a little paintball canister wouldn't last more than a few days supplying adequate CO2 to that big a tank. And, that is a very expensive way to buy CO2.
ok, thanks for the advice. anyone know how to do pressurized co2 cheap? haha

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Check the swap n shop forum every day for a good deal. Also, check Craigslist every day. Good deals do show up, but not every day or even every week.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
hmm, somethings is wrong there. It shouldn't go that quick. You might have a leak. I'm running a 75G and 20lbs seems to last a year at ~5 big bubbles/sec for 6 hours every day.
Im seriously pumping much more than 5 bubbles per second. its a 120 with 2 overflows and a sump!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Hmmm... To keep my drop checker color yellow lime green all the time I have to run 3-4bps 24/7 or it will turn forest green during the dark period when it's off.

I have lots of Anubias and Cryptocoryne, but they seem to like the CO2 as they grow nicely and pearl too.

I have a lot of surface wave action to keep my fish well oxygenated at all times and that is driving off CO2 obviously.

I'm OK with 2x/year refills @ $25 ea. Sure is lots easier than yeastie-beasties CO2.

Any amount of CO2 beyond air/water diffusion could help improve things even for slow growing low light plants as would modest fertilization.

Im seriously pumping much more than 5 bubbles per second. its a 120 with 2 overflows and a sump!
Consider taping/sealing plastic over your sump to keep more CO2 from escaping to the atmosphere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts