The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the planted tank hobby and unsure if I need CO2. This is my second tank which is a 32g (my first is only a 5G) with internal filtration (sponge filter, filter pad, polishing filter, chem green, fluval bioballs) using a 180gph pump. I have 7 female bettas, 2 netrile snails, and a rubber lip pleco.

I have hair algae, some green algae and some
Plant Plant community Botany Terrestrial plant Wood
brown algae. I have easy plants (at least they say) mainly ferns, Java moss, and anubias. Some of the leaves are yellow. I stopped dosing my tank with flourish as I thought it was contributing to the algae growth. Help needed and any advice appreciated.

·
Banned
628 Posts
The CO2 would really help but a lot of people don't use it. Of all the plants, Java Fern and Anubias might be the most forgiving. The Flourish did not cause the algae. You stopped adding a good thing for your plants. Java Ferns like to have even more Iron. So maybe get some Flourish Iron. You put in those two things three times a week. Then you add Nitrate, Phosphate and Potassium three times a week.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Definitely no need for co2 with low tech/ "beginner" plants (my entire 40b is devoted to them). If you want a "carpet" and brightly colored stems you're going to need it. I'm sure there's someone out there that can prove me wrong on the carpeting plants and bright colors (I'm still waiting, though lol) but in my experience it doesn't happen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.