The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
iwouldnt say you need them. idont own any of those brand tanks but it could help from scratching the bottom of the tank and surface of w.e your tanknis on. also ibelieve it helps with balancing your tank.

let see what other owners of ada tanks say.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I use a cushion under all tanks for several reasons. Mostly I use 1/2" styrofoam, which may not be the best looking, but is cheap, easy to work with, and does the jobs I want it to. None of my tanks are ADA tanks.
1) I keep my tanks on home made stands, and, lets face it, my carpentry is not up to cabinetry standards. The styro smooths out the minor imperfections in the wood.
2) I keep most of my tanks in a greenhouse, and I am only just now getting around to better temperature regulation. The Styro provides some insulation under the tanks, even when the stand is mostly open.
3) I have a few acrylic tanks, and they are fully cushioned, not in contact with the stand.

I have seen several versions of black matting that could work, and look nicer. There is a store near me that sells a lot of things to people who use trucks to haul small trailers, such as a pick up hauling a tool trailer or boat trailer. They also sell bed liner and other protective things, and one of these is a sort of flexible matting that could work under aquariums. I am not sure what they sell it for.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
In my experience, pads can be good and bad. They do protect the stand from getting scratches. But they do have a serious fault as well. I spill water now and then around my tank. Just happens! When the water gets the pad wet and runs under where I can't wipe it, it stays wet. Things like wood stands that stay wet for long periods are damaged. So you get to choose which damage you want to prevent. I no longer pad my tanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
A pad will give some protection to the tank against high spots on the stand. If your tank has a frame that keeps the glass off the stand then a pad really isn't necessary. If glass is sitting on a hard surface and there happens to be a tiny high spot anywhere it allows the pressure from the weight to be concentrated there possibly resulting in a failure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use a doubled up pad under my tank and I don't think it's been all that necessary but I have been using it for cable management. If you have a cord that you want to run perfectly straight down the side of your tank you can wrap a thin zip tie around it and the slide the tail of the zip tie between the pad and the stand to hold it in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts