The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Ive decided finally get a RO unit and WOW is there lots of choices...

First question I had is do I need a DI unit? Doesnt the RO process remove minerals/cations anyways? And is RO enough for a planted tank?

Ive had constant algae and diatom issues (for months) and I want to rule out my water. I think this will be a good step to make consistent water.

Also, has anyone tried that aquaticlife RO buddie? Its only like $70 and seems it might be very useful, any tried it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a Spectrapure unit. Very good quality.

RO only will not removed dissolved gases including ammonia. A DI resin will remove ammonia. That is why I originally got my unit. I have a significant amount of ammonia in my tap. However, I got tired of the $$ for the DI resin. I now just do a 50/50 tap/RO mix to soften my water. Long term RO is much cheaper then RO/DI. I actually replaced the DI cartridge with an extra carbon filter. I dose prime and it seems to bind the ammonia as Seachem claims until the plants and bio filtration does the rest. I sadly know this because I recently killed a Ram with ammonia poisoning after using a different brand water conditioner.

Whatever you get, make sure you get good sediment and carbon filters. Otherwise, the RO membrane will not last long and that is much more expensive than good sediment and carbon filters.

If you don't care to soften your water, I'm skeptical a RO unit would be a good buy or help with the algae. However, I do not have your tap water so can't say.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, pure water club has some damn good prices... Ty for the tip.

And Im pretty sure my water has high silicates and its why I really want to go RO. Plus just to have water that is consistent each time and I KNOW my water isnt the problem :)

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Oh yeah, pure water club has some damn good prices... Ty for the tip.

And Im pretty sure my water has high silicates and its why I really want to go RO. Plus just to have water that is consistent each time and I KNOW my water isnt the problem :)
Anytime, I searched for a good one for months. Mine does awesome and looks just like the expensive ones. My buddy has one that is the same filters and has a fancy sticker. Exact same build and construction.

-Chris

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bulkreefsupply.com they have the best deals.
Just got a 6 stage, 100GPD with %250 longer lasting large DI cartridge, 50ft of tubing, a facet adapter and all for cheaper the bulkreefsupply.com's 4 stage RO unit with nothing extra. Only 122$ shipped. Was quite the deal, like I said earlier, damn good prices :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.