The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do i have too much lighting?

1243 4
I have 2 150watt metal halide bulbs for a 50 gallon tank that used to be a reef tank. My question is, is this too much lighting for a planted aquarium or the fish that will be in it?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Whats the dimensions of the tank? 2 will be a lot of light you could raise the lights really high or just use one halide. Will you have co2 and dosing ferts?

·
Registered
964 Posts
48"l, 13"w, 18"t, and the light sits 7" above the water
Hi, what is the color temperature fo the HQ lamps (Kelvins)? You might as well put them 1 foot, maybe more above the water. Metal halide bulbs are quite powerful. Probably some testing/adjustements to do, and the color temp must be in a range for freshwater plants.

Michel.

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
If you had enough light for a reef tank you now have way too much for a planted tank, unless you are raising the lights much farther above the tank. The color temperature of the lights is probably not very good for a planted tank either, if you are using the same bulbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.