The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting some angelfish for awhile now, but I want to get some opinions before I make any purchases. My tank parameters are spot on so no worries there. I have a 90 gallon high tech tank with medium plant density. For filtration I have an eheim 2215 and a 30 gallon sump. My current inhabitants are 9 rainbows, 7 leopard cories, 1 leopard climbing perch, 3 sae, 8 nerite snails, and a small army of mts. I would like a small school of 5 or 6 to have a good chance of getting a breeding pair. If they get aggressive when the female is ready to spawn I'll just transfer them to my sump to breed since it will be planted as well. Do you guys think I will be overstocked or have compatibility problems? I can just go with 3 or 4 fish if I have to. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Some people will tell you that angels should be kept in a species tank.

I'd make sure to investigate angelfish compatibility with your current fish. Some people also argue that snails can carry disease and shouldn't be kept with angels.

All of that to say: The 15 gal/angel is a good rule of thumb. A reasonable amount of other fish probably won't change that, but may have other compatibility issues.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I'd make sure to investigate angelfish compatibility with your current fish. Some people also argue that snails can carry disease and shouldn't be kept with angels.
That snail bit is mostly myth but the rest is always great advice

This is one Angel in a 46g tank. Do the math.
That is a beautiful picture of a wonderfully healthy looking angel in a very nicely scaped tank. Shame it's only posted like this where I've seen it posted on this same topic several times. Can't you find a worse example? Common sense applies.

I'll house and breed pairs in a 20T but not a 20L. Once spawned the adults or the fry are removed. Pairs parent raise in 55g or 40B and a 40B is shorter than I prefer.

Common sense applies.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
... Shame it's only posted like this where I've seen it posted on this same topic several times. Can't you find a worse example? Common sense applies.

I'll house and breed pairs in a 20T but not a 20L. Once spawned the adults or the fry are removed. Pairs parent raise in 55g or 40B and a 40B is shorter than I prefer.

Common sense applies.
I post it because it illustrates a perfect example that once a tank is scaped that rule doesn't apply. The OP is looking to put Angels in a planted community tank. Yes common sense applies!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I post it because it illustrates a perfect example that once a tank is scaped that rule doesn't apply. The OP is looking to put Angels in a planted community tank. Yes common sense applies!
It doesn't apply to short tanks sure enough and simple 'rules of thumb' are never anymore than a broad reference to a starting point and should not be considered a complete answer.
Indeed he is considering angels for addition and that's why he asked a question, being helpful members are trying the help answer with opinions (can be compared to belly buttons).

The OP posted he is looking to put Angels in a 90g planted community tank. I'm not guessing a 90g to normally be a short tank.
:sleep:

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
15g per adult is a sane number
(and I have tanks full of angels LOL)
Is this not your post? There is no qualifier on it. You simply stated 15g per adult. That would put 3 Angels in the tank I showed. IMO it doesn't work.

BTW that tank shown is 20" tall. It just goes to show how much less room there is once it's planted and scaped. I just wanted to show a tank scaped and the effect it has on fish of size. Thread viewers can make up their own mind let's just leave it at that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.