The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am running two Penguin 350 HOB filters on my medium planted 75g tank. I have quite a few fish in there and I am wondering if I have enough filtration or if I should start learning about canisters.

Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
How many fish is "quite a few" and what type of fish? Some fish require more filtration than others due to the biomass and type of foods you feed.

If you just have a bunch of tetras and such, you are probably okay. If you have some larger fish, personally I would add a canister. Canister filters are so much more flexible as you can load the media trays with all types of filtration media. HOB's like the penguin do not offer this flexibility. Aqua Clears a little more so.

I would keep the HOB's you have on there and add something like a Fluval 206, Filstar XP-M, or perhaps even a Sun-Sun. You don't need to add a very large canister considering what you already have. I picked up a Sun-Sun HW-302 for like $50 on eVilbay and it works great. I use it on a 75 gallon grow out tank to help supplement the sponge filter and HOB I have on the tank.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... I will take a look at canisters... Other than a little brown algae, I don't have a problem with water clarity and the HOBs give me 10x turnover... So maybe I should just hang tight and see if anything changes as my fish get bigger.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
depends on your water change schedule...some people who breed discus, do not even use mechanical filtration, rather just use sponge filters, but these people do 90%-100% water changes a day.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If you have enough filtration depends what your water parameters are. Whats your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings. Thats what it all comes down to~>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts