The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious because someone gave me a BUNCH of those gallon jugs of iron, potassium, etc etc and I just started to use them. They were already opened and used previously and I had them sitting around for a while. Just want to make sure I can still use them.
The one Im mostly worried about is the potassium because it sounds like some of it solidified like there are small rocks in the jug.

Thanks

been meaning to ask this but keep forgetting.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Im just curious because someone gave me a BUNCH of those gallon jugs of iron, potassium, etc etc and I just started to use them. They were already opened and used previously and I had them sitting around for a while. Just want to make sure I can still use them.
The one Im mostly worried about is the potassium because it sounds like some of it solidified like there are small rocks in the jug.

Thanks

been meaning to ask this but keep forgetting.
Look around on the bottle and see if there is any expiration date on it...but I do believe you should be fine

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Theoretically they should be ok. Practically though, I noticed salt deposits near the openings which means the conc. of the solution inside changed. You also want to check for fungal growth, which is a posible when the solutions where not properly stored.

If the solutions precipitated out of solution you can generally disolve them back, just increase the temperature and stir. For example you could put the bottle in a pot filled with warm water, wait for the bottle to warm and give a nice shake ( of course watch out for pressure buildup and different boiling points)

I don't know what happens with the iron chelators in all this time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts