The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a tank that i just added 19 cherries to and i hope to possibly get some red crystal shrimp in at work eventually and i would like to get some but i dont want mix them if there is the remotest chance of hybridization (yeah spelling is probably off on that). I dont like and wont knowingly do it, but i really like the RCSs :).

Jason

oh yeah my cherries are producing a noticeable waste accumulation in my tank...the plants should hopefully love it cause i can see it on my light substrate and in the low flow areas.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Interbreeding aside, the two species have different water chemistry preferences. Cherry shrimp prefer hard, alkaline water, CRS prefer acidic.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
normaly i do search but it was right before bed and i figured since i have all of five minutes in the morning before i do my 12.5 hour day that i'd just ask...next time i'll withhold questions and search through until i find it. Maybe if its been asked so many times...a sticky might save some time....just a thought.

jason

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Many people keep them both in the same tank, so I'm gonna make the stretch that the difference in H2O chemistry preference is not a big issue.

Tommy

·
Registered
889 Posts
It's just that they are totally different species. RCS are Neocardina sp. while CRS are Cardina sp..
RCS cross with: Snowball shrimp, Neocaridina sp. "blue", and other Neocardina.
CRS cross with: Chinese Zebra shrimp, Tiger Shrimp, Bee Shrimp, Bumblebee shrimp, and other Cardina.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, we did get some in at work but they were so tiny i dont want to put them in my 30 gallon i'd never be able to see them, i'll wait until i get either another tank or some some what larger than 1/3 inch shrimp to search out lol.

damn they are really pretty in person though, but for now i'll cut my teeth with cherries :).

jason

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
with my DIY Co2 reactor running the ph drops to about 6.8 or so and i'm still waiting on a Kh test kit so i can have something a bit more accurate than a strip.

With out the Co2 the Ph is typically 7.4 to 7.6...i think in the long run the water would be better for the crystals but we'll see how my cheap little cherries do for me, i'm seeing babies in ther that came in with them, time will tell if they breed again for me.

i'd love to start a tank for breeding crystal shrimp after seeing them in person they are really really pretty.

jason

·
Registered
890 Posts
No they don't interbreed. I personally feel like its better to keep species separate even if they don't interbreed. I made the mistake of putting my Tiger Shrimp in the same tank as my RCS. Unfortunately when the Tigers start to breed I won't be able to tell the difference between their babies and the RCS babies. Oh well. I will move the Tigers into another tank very soon.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
wood you will be able to tell the difference. Tigers have stripes at a very very young age. As in pretty much right when they are born.

And water chemistry does not seem to matter much to cherries. If you can get crystals to breed you will be able to get cherries to breed like mad in the same tank. Water chemistry for crystals matter a lot more.

·
Registered
319 Posts
WTF?! I didn't see any Crystals in the tanks! I want some. Jason I'm gonna have to stop in and buy some next week for sure. Tell me they're not like $5ea. right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.