The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lfs guy, who is great, and I really trust, says they do, and that he has a dozen people come to him a year asking him to fix them for him, even though he doesn't stock them for this very reason. I got the 72g tank for quite cheap, so I could potentially sell if on CL for more than I paid for it and then try to find a normal tank about the same size. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I have a few bow fronts and never had any of them leak. Not alot of people are into them much anymore due to the price. I have a 92 gallon corner bowfront for a few years and not a problem. Have several other bowfronts also, to me they are not different that any other tank.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Curious what brand he was carrying?

I've had several over the years, my old 46gal bowfront was one of my favorite tanks ever. Had it going strong for about 15 years, through several moves between Florida to Texas and back with nary a leak.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My 36g bowfront never showed any signs of trouble. I was quite abusive to the glass with my rock scape as well.

My 40 breeder bows like a semi bowfront though. I'm scared to touch it sometimes. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had my 72 gallon bowfront leak just this past November. I had it for about 9 years and moved from NY to Connecticut and back. Set it up for about 8 months and then drained it when my floors were being done, put it on the floor, when the floors were finished I put it back and added water and I ended up with a leak. Not sure where to get it fixed, I went and ordered a tank to replace it. I still have it and would love to use it but don't trust myself to fix the leak, and don't know where to take it. So mine lasted a while and then leaked.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I had my 72 gallon bowfront leak just this past November. I had it for about 9 years and moved from NY to Connecticut and back. Set it up for about 8 months and then drained it when my floors were being done, put it on the floor, when the floors were finished I put it back and added water and I ended up with a leak. Not sure where to get it fixed, I went and ordered a tank to replace it. I still have it and would love to use it but don't trust myself to fix the leak, and don't know where to take it. So mine lasted a while and then leaked.
They are very easy to reseal, watch a video on it. Dont let a good tank go to waste!

·
Registered
403 Posts
My husband and I got a used, very beaten up FREE 46 and eheim and light etc...

The seal on the front corners was SHOT. We ripped out the seal with a utility blade knife scraper and applied black aquarium silicone using a caulk applicator and our thumb. Well my corner came out much better than his, but it still looks like a newb did it but OMFG does it look better than when we got it and my friends even said it looked good. So that's all that matters to me! We had a LOT of bubbles and the silicone was flaking when you rubbed it. It wasn't even attached to the glass in many areas .. Easy to tell it needed to be replaced. It took us about an hour to do.

BTW We filled it on Jan 8th 2013 and just moved it with all of the sand and plants, a couple (5) inches of water and 15 fish (loaches, damn their fast) in the back seat of a 91 trooper on 02/02/14 (Superbowl Sunday) and it did GREAT. Not saying anyone should try that, but we took a chance and it worked. We even seat belted it in! (AGAIN, DON"T TRY THAT AT HOME KIDS) .. We also had 5 people moving it.

If the glass is good, I'd reseal it. It's seriously not hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.