The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read here someone saying that black mollies eat staghorn or some other algae, and read somewhere else that mollies do. Is this true?

I have fuzz-like white strands on leaf edges that become tangly brown squiggly things that are quite coarse to the touch when fully grown. i am guessing this is staghorn?

my siamese dont eat it, so i was thinking of trying mollies. if so, do they have to be black, or is this all wrong anyway?

thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
My wife has a bunch of Mollys in my planted tank and they peck away at the BBA all day. They don't clean much of it off till I kill it with Excel, then they feast.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
If you don't overfeed your fish they will snack on surface scum and algaes. However, you can't feed them hardily and expect the same.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I love the black mollies in my tank. You make me want to get some now. My family hates them. They call them "cow fish". (I don't know why.) I love their little black babies. They look like black velvet to me. They will eat duck weed too! What other fish has such dense black color like they do. I just may have to get some.... :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
We've always kept black mollies and they definitely do their part with hair algae. My wife really likes them and so with our new setup, we got 3 - a male and 2 females. On the male, the dorsal and tail fins have developed subtle (to my eyes) yellow (dorsal) and blue (tail) stripes which he loves to show the females. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do they HAVE to be Black mollies... or would any colour/variety (yellow, white, baloon molly etc) of mollie eat staghorn and hair algae??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any color will do
That's what i thought, but i see everywhere and everyone specifically mentioning BLACK mollies... in fact, i've read that most livebearers will do the job as well.

Form my own experience, i have also noticed my Angelfish and Flame gouramis feeding on algae as well. I can tell who ate the most algae by looking at their poop... green poop = lots of algae eaten :)

:proud:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes keep them hungry for a day then intorduce them in an algae tank. They will pick it clean
I was desperate with a Bacopa plant w/ lots of green hair algae... took it out and placed in my tank with Clown Loaches and a CAE... they went CRAZY with it, specially the Clown loaches. They jumped right to it and nibbled like there's no tomorrow.... it was a very cool sight

The plant is clean right now :icon_lol:

·
Registered
931 Posts
i have had only one black molly in my 50g tank who will heartily eat all of the algae growing in the top half of the tank. he does such a good job (and looks so cool!) that i had to get him a female so i can have his offspring eating algae out of my tanks for as long as i've got any tanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts