The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out a good plant to put among the branches in this tank that have stiffer leaves and will divert the water flow and provide a slower moving environment underneath.

After no one gave any suggestions to my post this morning, I headed to Petco to try to get some inspiration. They had Banana Plants (Nymphoides aquatica) for $2 each so I decided to pick one up. Can they be put on the wood, or do they need to have their tips in the substrate? What if I secured a small amount of Ecocomplete to the branch beneath it would that work?
I also am still looking for suggestions for other plants that would work. I used to have Anubias barteri and Anubias nana tucked in the branches in this tank, but they got too much light.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I use some plant weight to keep the plant in place on top the substrate without burying it. Over time the it will root down and secure itself and the weight can be removed. Over time the banana part might melt away and leave just leaves and roots.

In this tank, the banana plant is the giant leaf next to the white sand. I only let it keep at most two big leaves at a time.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. I think I'm going to try to put it in the middle, at the lowest point where 2 branches cross. If it puts roots down, they'll only have a few inches to go, before they hit the substrate.
In this tank, the banana plant is the giant leaf next to the white sand. I only let it keep at most two big leaves at a time.
If this plant gets that big, it'll be framed nicely by the branches around it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks all. I think I'm going to try to put it in the middle, at the lowest point where 2 branches cross. If it puts roots down, they'll only have a few inches to go, before they hit the substrate.

If this plant gets that big, it'll be framed nicely by the branches around it.
Mine get HUGE. The leaves will grow to be bigger than adult palm if I let them. I usually snip the older leaves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.