The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Aqueon Pro heater is advertised as being "monitoring real time" so I was wondering if that means that normal thermometers do not monitor in real time?

So would that mean that it measures like every 5 minutes or something like that?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
I would imagine that it's just marketing/advertising.

I could theoretically market the analog thermometers as "eco-friendly, requiring no tedious battery changing!" and it would be technically correct.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would like to add, every electronic heater I've owned has failed within a year or two. Whereas, the analogue heaters have lasted me much longer. The only analogue heater I owned that failed was 15 years old. Circuit boards and water...ya know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would like to add, every electronic heater I've owned has failed within a year or two. Whereas, the analogue heaters have lasted me much longer. The only analogue heater I owned that failed was 15 years old. Circuit boards and water...ya know.
I agree. I can't imagine a worse environment for any sort of electronic circuit than an aquarium (fresh OR salt). While theoretically an electronic thermostat can have better accuracy and a smaller deadband, the old school snap-action thermal switch heater is robust and simple, provided quality parts are used.

Mechanical heaters have a better chance of failing "on" due to contact point sticking compared to the electronic heaters that just quit working due to controls failure. The solution is to run twin mechanical heaters at 1/2 the wattage requirement each to minimize the chance of cooking your fish if one fails "on" before you notice.

I run Aqueon mechanical heaters in all my tanks with no issues, although they are not that old yet.

Chris

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would imagine that it's just marketing/advertising.

I could theoretically market the analog thermometers as "eco-friendly, requiring no tedious battery changing!" and it would be technically correct.
I don't like anything with the word " Eco" in it. Its usually code word for something that is poor quality. However, I could see that might work with some people.

Reactions: Chibils and AWolf

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree. I can't imagine a worse environment for any sort of electronic circuit than an aquarium (fresh OR salt).
This reminds me of some arguments over the short lifespan of some LED lighting fixtures over aquariums. Those circuit boards are failing at rates that keep me out of that market for now. I don't care for our 'throwaway culture'.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This reminds me of some arguments over the short lifespan of some LED lighting fixtures over aquariums. Those circuit boards are failing at rates that keep me out of that market for now. I don't care for our 'throwaway culture'.
Indeed. I am just running a pair of 8.5" clamp light reflectors with CFLs over my newly set up 20H tank to hold me over until I make a decision on what LED light I want to invest in (if any). This is just a low tech tank with pool sand substrate for the corydoras and BN pleco and a bunch of the usual beginner plants, Flourish/Leaf Zone and root tabs.

I chuckle when I read about how much in electricity and bulbs you'll save with an LED fixture that lasts 50,000 hours but then see how many people have them fail in less than 2 or 3 years (<10,000 hours). The LED chips aren't the problem...it's everything else around them. Quality costs $$.

Chris

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I love the spiral bulbs. Supposed to get so many hours out of them. Heck I've opened 3 4 packs of one brand and two of the bulbs are dead in less than an hour. So much for the environmental side of that.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I love the spiral bulbs. Supposed to get so many hours out of them. Heck I've opened 3 4 packs of one brand and two of the bulbs are dead in less than an hour. So much for the environmental side of that.
Dont forget they contain mercury and are supposed to be disposed of properly too.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree. I can't imagine a worse environment for any sort of electronic circuit than an aquarium (fresh OR salt). While theoretically an electronic thermostat can have better accuracy and a smaller deadband, the old school snap-action thermal switch heater is robust and simple, provided quality parts are used.

Mechanical heaters have a better chance of failing "on" due to contact point sticking compared to the electronic heaters that just quit working due to controls failure. The solution is to run twin mechanical heaters at 1/2 the wattage requirement each to minimize the chance of cooking your fish if one fails "on" before you notice.

I run Aqueon mechanical heaters in all my tanks with no issues, although they are not that old yet.

Chris
I have LED light but I tried to seal all the cracks with Silicon sealant(aquarium safe version) in hops to keep water out of the electronics.

Bump:
According to the EPA, you have to wear a hazmat suit to dispose of a broken one. Very toxic light. I heard that GE(general electric) is going to discontinue making all of those types of lights.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
According to the EPA, you have to wear a hazmat suit to dispose of a broken one. Very toxic light. I heard that GE(general electric) is going to discontinue making all of those types of lights.
Every fluorescent contains mercury. Bulbs made today contain a lot less than previous bulbs.
IIRC it was the GE bulbs that fail consistently. Phillips has been decent.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Every fluorescent contains mercury. Bulbs made today contain a lot less than previous bulbs.
IIRC it was the GE bulbs that fail consistently. Phillips has been decent.
LED seem to be wining the light wars. I used to see all fluorescent in Costco and Home depot, now I see a lot more LED lights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.