The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Specs:
Twenty-watts @ 6,700k via a screw-in CF; FloraBase substrate; DIY CO2; and an AquaClear 20.

Flora:
Glosso, Crypt Parva, Bolbitis, Narrowleaf Java Fern, Blepharostome, Pottias, Flame Moss, E. tenellus, Staurogyne, Anubias Nana "Petite", and Fissidens Nobilis, and Fissidens.

Details:

The large rock in the back center is a weight to keep the still-bouyant DW submerged.
I don't yet know if the light is bright enough to get the Glosso to carpet. I'll find out in a few weeks, I suppose. I'd estimate that this tank will take about three months to grow in fully.
I've no plans for fauna at this point, but do I ever?

And that's that. Let's see how she does.

·
Registered
65 Posts
UG how many tanks do you have in your possession as of now? You keep churning out these great looking tanks.

Randy

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the DW from AFA, Zoo. Dunno what type of wood it is, though.

Thanks, punk.

I've got five 'scaped tanks and two un-'scaped ones. This, I promise myself, is my last one. I'll have to content myself to rescaping only.

tran, the cube was forty-five dollars. Not bad, really.

I should state here that I'm really excited about using Glosso again. It's been a while since I've had a pure Glosso carpet. In my mind it is the quintessential carpet plant; the one that started it all for me. As the tank's only two days old, it'll be a while before I see it carpet, but it's exciting none-the-less.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Dude, AFA finally has Do!aqua 30cm cubes in?

Last time I went there they only had (iirc) 25cm cubes in, they only had ADA 30cm cubes, for 75$.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've got five 'scaped tanks and two un-'scaped ones. This, I promise myself, is my last one. I'll have to content myself to rescaping only.

Sorry but I'm already laughing....last tank....yeah right !!
With all that talent that will be a crime !!

last tank...I said that to myself a couple of times LOL

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do!aqua strikes again! I saw that tank the other day at AFA and was really tempted to start my first cube.

Randy

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
the tank looks great! i'm also anxious to see if that glosso fills in. you planted it very well.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Oh man, I have a feeling this is going to be one of those threads that will be super fun to follow. Really neat looking DW. Is that a single piece, or did you tie them together?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nice. This is the "smoothest" tank I've seen you do UG. Most times I've come to expect very angular formations. Rocks with lots of interesting, jagged sided or Driftwood with sharp angles. This driftwood is so smooth looking. Another one to watch!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, Dollface. Dunno when they got them. I really like cubes. They're fun to layout as the possibilities are fewer and, consequently, the hardscape decisions are easier to make.

Thanks, lego. It really is a cool piece of wood.

Thanks and tell me about it panda. Every tank is my last tank.

Go for it, Randy. Like I said earlier, cubes are really fun to hardscape. The king of cubes is cl. Check out some of his work.

Thanks, dane. If I were a betting man -- which I'm not -- I'd wager that the Glosso's going to need more light to carpet. Twenty watts via a screw-in might not cut it. I'm loathe to up the light any more, however. High light tanks suck.

Thanks, rrrrramos. (I've written your name so many times, I know it has five r's. How cool is that?) FloraBase has a really nice color, I think. I think FB (the substrate, not the social networking site) gets a bad rep as the bag says that it needs to be replaced after a year. I believe that people misinterpret this to mean that it disintegrates or something. I don't think it does any more than AS. What Red Sea means is that in order to have the sustained nutrient release, it should be replaced. This is no different than AS which also looses it's potency after a time. I had a tank with FB for a couple of years and the grains were still solid and in tact.

Thanks, Skrimpy. The wood's one piece. I fell in love with the DW when I saw it, but didn't buy it until a couple of days later. I figured if it was still there, it was fate.

That's a really good name, speedie. Roots. I like it a lot. I may use that. In the meantime, I named it 醜い天才. (Minikui Tensai.) This is Japanese for Ugly Genius. That's me trying to be clever.

Thanks, Outlaw. It is a bit smoother than anything else I've done. I'm going to try to not have it come out a Xerox copy of Quasi-Wabi, so manicuring will be very important so as to keep the character of the DW.

Thanks, Church.

You can't see in this photo, but I added a bit of Fontinalis Hypnoids, Mini Christmas Moss, and Mini Rose Moss. When I get batteries for the camera, I'll snap a few.

Now that I look at the photo, I had yet to add the Mini Christmas Moss and Fontinalis Hypnoids.
Must have added them after I snapped the pict.
You can make out the Mini Rose Moss in the back, though.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jman,
Pottias for sure. So beautiful and a relatively fast grower by moss standards.
Rose Moss and Mini Rose Moss look pretty much alike so pick one and know that you're not missing anything by not getting the other. (Put a gun to my head and I'd say that Rose Moss looks better than Mini Rose Moss, but, honestly, even side-by-side I can barely tell the difference.)
I've grown quite fond of Fontinalis Hypnoids and Blepharostome Trichoph despite those two being my initial least favorites.
Everyone should have Mini Pellia.
Those are my favorites.

Thanks, TsuRyuu!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts