The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering doing an open top tank at some point in 2011 or 2012, and I was wondering if any of the following jump. Appistogramma Cacatuoides, Bolivian Rams, Cardinal Tetras, Angelfish, Corydoras Sterbai?

I'm guessing only the Cory's would be a major threat, but I've seen Appistos shoot to the top. So, anyone know if this would be a safe mix for an open top?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
You never know when any one of a species of fish is going to get out of the tank someway or another and for whatever reason, but the fish you mentioned are not known to be jumpers, and I think you would be fine with all of them.
That's no guarantee that you won't lose one of them sometime, but it's not very likely.
I have an open topped discus tank with several kinds of Cories, some Cardinals and Rasboras, and have never lost one of those fish to jumping. Cories and other fish occasionally dash to the top, just to get a gulp of air, but they're not interested in getting out of the tank - they won't jump.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You never know when any one of a species of fish is going to get out of the tank someway or another and for whatever reason, but the fish you mentioned are not known to be jumpers, and I think you would be fine with all of them.
That's no guarantee that you won't lose one of them sometime, but it's not very likely.
I have an open topped discus tank with several kinds of Cories, some Cardinals and Rasboras, and have never lost one of those fish to jumping. Cories and other fish occasionally dash to the top, just to get a gulp of air, but they're not interested in getting out of the tank - they won't jump.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Hoping to have my first rimless open top tank. This is going to be a really fun project if I can pull off these interesting inhabitants to boot.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The only fish I see on that list that I would consider even remotely as a risk would be the Cardinals. Even then, its not likely to happen unless the Apistos or Rams are chasing them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Exactly. If conditions are good, the fish are healthy, and nothing is trying to eat them you'll probably be fine. Having floating plants, avoiding startling the fish with loud noises and flashes, and having some form of dim lighting at night probably reduces the risk even more.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only fish I see on that list that I would consider even remotely as a risk would be the Cardinals. Even then, its not likely to happen unless the Apistos or Rams are chasing them.
Great news, now the business of getting a tank, derimming it, finding adequate lighting and C02. Have to wait for the next apartment for more room, but can't wait.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts