The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am researching iron supplements and I am wondering if all iron supplements tan or color the water equally (if at all) ?

These are the types of iron supplement I know about.
1. EDTA chelated iron ( requires a high PH). What most standard products use " API leaf zone, Aqueon plant food,etc.."
2. DPTA chelated iron ( can work at lower PH ranges than EDTA)
3. EDDHA chelated iron ( Can work at lower PH range than EDTA and DPTA). Most bioavailable of all the chelated irons with the wide range of PH scale.
4. ferrous gluconate ( not sure how this works but it provides liquid C02 to the plants also). Will also work on a large range of PH scale however my concern is some plants are sensitive to liquid C02 like Jungle VAl I think) *This is what Seachem uses in Iron Florish.

Do all 4 of these types of Iron tan/color the water the same or for example is EDDHA worse than DPTA cheated iron with the same PPM dosage?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have the dpta and it does tan the water noticeably, esp in higher ppm doses, before that i was using api leaf zone and while i used it at much lower it also was darker in color from the bottle and i would assume it also would stain the water. the coloration has been bothering me and I was wondering if purigen or something similar would remove it

edit: I dose the dtpa to 1.0 ppm when i was using the leaf zone i was dosing according to the bottle (which was about 0.1 ppm) I would expect that a 10x dose would've definitely colored the water

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dose Seachem and I'd have to seriously overdose to even begin to color the water.
So seachem would be ferrous gluconate.

Thanks for this valuable information. Do you have Jungle vals or anything like that?

If so, do you find the ferrous gluconate effects it at all?

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.